• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikaj
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2007

clipsal ulti light switches??

helo, id like to ask the forums advice on this lighting project i have any tips/advice

i just found the ulti range last night, it looks like the solution to my home extention lighting problem, i.e intergrating the old with the new, and being able to upgrade the old over time.
    im looking to do two main areas, kitchen/dinner and master bed/onsuite kitchen dinner has
    1 switch dimmable for 5 50w max gu10`s cooking zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 4 50w max gu 10`s eating zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 2 or 3 pendant lights max 50w each eating zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable ( i think) for 6 over cupboard lights 35w max each cooking zone halogen
    1 switch for 6 under cuboard lights 35w max each cooking zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 2 x 50w max wall lights either tungsten or pref energy saving bulbs or halogen

at present i have wired the mains to power these with 1.5mm t&e to a double 47mm back box all switches where to be daisy chained as power is on a radial through the back boxes, if i need to change back boxes thats ok as we are at first fix right now.
    was hoping for some two way switching for the main cooking zone cieling lights from entering from utility room and at the other end from dinning room but that switch would turn on main dinning zone lights.

master bed can wait as it may be just as easy to use standard dimmers and switches there as mood settings are not as important.

thanks in advance for any help.
    mika from portsmouth
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

Ulti is good and looks very nice however it is a little limited on its whole house capabilities.

Have a look at Rako as they have just launched thier PLL device which sits in back boxes, controls the local circuit and also listens to the Rako keypad signals. Other Rako modules include curtain controllers, Timer clocks and text message controllers. There are also a growing number of automation controllers that can talk Rako out and listen to Rako button presses.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• mikaj
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2007

thanks for reply chris, i tried to email your site last week but it just bounced back at me.

looking at the requirements i listed above, what would you say would be the best way to go about lighting this kitchen?
      ive had quotes of any thing from £400 up wards just for the hardware.
      seems a lot of money when i could go to TLC and get nice looking dimmer switches and ajust the lighting manualy for about £100
      im willing to spend more but the switches have to look nice and i did want to use the existing 240v 5amp wiring, not too keen on remote recivers hidden in the ceiling void, if you can persuade me otherwise, ill listen.

i dont mind playing with software either
      regards mikaj

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

Sorry your email got bounced, we are having a lot of problems with Spam at the moment so please check you have the correct address.

Which site were you using, K2 or Intouch?

The nice thing about the new PLL dimmers from Rako is that they go into the backboxes not in the ceiling. But without the cost of a keypad at every location they become a good solution,

The PLL can be driven by either a single contact closure button as a cover plate or by a Rako wireless controller.

I am with Rako next week, discussing these and looking at how to upgrade our whole house.
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• mikaj
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2007

thanks chris could you give me a link to these ppl dimmers thanks and what does the ppl stand for? sorry pll?
          btw i was using the k2 site
          Last edited by mikaj; 10 January 2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• UKAutomation
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2006

Hi Mikaj,

Just to throw my 0.02 pence into the discussion, I know that ULTI switches would do what you need to without any major issues - the biggest drawback would be the price of the switches against your budget (they aren't the cheapest).

However, I much prefer the finish on the ULTI switches to the Rako switches, but that's an issue of personal taste.
            As Vex mentions, the PLL units can be driven by a contact closure switch so you can pick your own light switches, which negates that issue.

The build quality of ULTI is excellent - I can't compare directly with Rako as I've only played with their equipment in demos and at shows. I just wish they would bring the price down a little as it's an excellent, simple retro-fit system that is stylish but a little expensive.

Craig
            UK Automation - UK Home Automation suppliers
            Free delivery on orders over £200!

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Actually, i don't know what PILL stands for, I will find out when I am with them next week.

Actual function of the PILL contact closure is press and release - it comes on to last brightness level

Press and Hold - It will come on and ramp up the light level to Max and stop.
              Press and Hold again - It will ramp down to off and stop.

I think these are great and will be using them throughout our house in the next month or so because I can get them to match our existing light switches.

(OT Craig we need to talk, will give you a call)

Comment

• vex
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2005

If you pm me your email address I can send you the PILL instruction sheet as it is to big to upload here.

Chris

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vex View Post
                  Actually, i don't know what PILL stands for, I will find out when I am with them next week.
                  Just had a look on the Rako website and found this

It still gives no insight into what PILL stands for but looking at the picture it could just be a reference to the shape. It is reminiscent of the wartime "Pill Box" bunkers that dotted the coastline.

It could also be an acronym aimed at some of the more hefty members of this forum who may be too heavy handed when operating the switch used to control it.....

Push It Lightly Lardarse

Could also be a medical reference..... take one of these for each lighting circuit and if your lighting doesnt improve get a cBus system
                  KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
                  http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• mikaj
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2007

katman, thanks for that, so as i want 6 zones in the kitchen would i need one of these pill`s for each zone? does that mean i would need 6 individual on/off wall switches?
                    appreciate the help.
                    mikaj

Comment

• vex
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2005

Basically, Yes if you want to control them individually.

But they only need simple contact closure (push to make) buttons and all the major manufacturers offer these in most of their ranges.

In one or two locations you could have Rako's 7 button controllers to be able to recall scenes for the whole house and trigger an all off.

This is basically what we are planning for the whole of our house.

Chris

Comment

• mikaj
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jan 2007

ok vex, this sounds a bit more do-able could you explain if and how you have any multi lighting curcuits i.e living room or kitchen dinner how you will use the pills where you will place them?

of the 6 curcuits in my kitchen i could dim 3 and have the other 3 as on/off

dimmed would be ceiling gu10`s split into 2 switches
                        over cupboard low voltage 1 switch

then the not dimmed would be breakfast/island pendants 1 switch
                        under cupboard flurescents 1 switch
                        one or two wall lights 1 switch

would i need to place the pills in single switch back box`s ? so that would mean 6 single back box`s that would look ugly.

then all of these could be mood switched with the rako thing you suggest.

am i getting the jist of this or am i wrong?

Comment

• NWootton
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Feb 2006

Vex

I'd be interested in this as well - I've looked at both the Rako and the ULTI range. I preferred the ULTI range because it was a straight replacement that used mains power, sticking batteries into a Rako wall switch seemed a little "retro".

Are you saying that I can use the PLL module in my existing back box and it provides the same functions as the UTLI switch?

Nix

Comment

• vex
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Feb 2005

Sorry Mikaj, completely missed your post.

I'll get back to you and nwootton later this evening.

Comment

• vex
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mikaj View Post
                              ok vex, this sounds a bit more do-able could you explain if and how you have any multi lighting curcuits i.e living room or kitchen dinner how you will use the pills where you will place them?

of the 6 curcuits in my kitchen i could dim 3 and have the other 3 as on/off

then the not dimmed would be breakfast/island pendants 1 switch

would i need to place the pills in single switch back box`s ? so that would mean 6 single back box`s that would look ugly.

then all of these could be mood switched with the rako thing you suggest.

am i getting the jist of this or am i wrong?

Ok, you are getting there mikaj,

These would use two of Rakos, RDL's, designed to fit up through a GU10 hole and hide in the ceiling void, each controling a circuit.

If the Low Voltage transformer is designed to be dimmerble, is the transformer hidden above the cupboards and could you hide another RDL up there, before the transformer?

breakfast/island pendants 1 switch
                              Dimmed, using a PILL hidden in a backbox

Switched (as I am guessing you can not dim these flurescents) using an RDS800 mounted up underneath the cupboards

A second PILL hidden in a back box.

Once these are all in and powered you can create relationships between one or two controllers (RCP07's) and all the dimmers / switches.

If you only have one RCP then when you come into the room you will have the option of 4 different scenes, an all off and the group dim up and down. Of you run two on different room codes then you could have 8 scenes all from the same mix of lights.

Cool hu, It does take some thinking about but once you see it it does become clearer.

Hope that all makes sense to you

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X