Thread: 3 way mid position valve?

Automated Home Lurker

Question 3 way mid position valve?

I've been having problems with my heating for about a week now.
    Can get hot water no problem, but as soon as heating is selected the boiler refuses to fire up(it's a Baxi Solo 30PF). I have to go upstairs and manually move the switch on the mid pos. valve. as soon as that's done the heating fires up.
    I replaced the pump and fitted a new synchros motor in the 3 way valve.
    Yet the valve will move from heating to the mid pos. (H+W) and then back to heating. But it won't return from hot water

Could it be the control box?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Automated Home Jr Member

Programmer has a permenant live, when c/h is selected and the room stat is calling for heat it will sent power thru the stat to the diverter valve, in turn powering the pump and the boiler.

The valve may be ok and the pump may have been too.

If you have a multimeter and feel competant to use it test for 230v at the stat when programmer is on c/h mode if none then it points to the programmer.

If there's power there check from the common to the other terminals turning it on and off to check readings change, if so the stat if ok and the next component down the line is the valve, which you already seem to have tried. might be worth checking there's power to the (normally) white wire coming into the valve and the orange coming out as this is the switched live which sends power out to the pump and boiler. If your valve isn't a Honeywell type then check instructions or google the name to see if the colours described above differ.

If in doubt checking the electrics please get someone who's competant as mains voltage can quite easily stop your heart, or at least give it a nasty scar which will not do you any good later in life, current takes the easiest route which can often be from one hand to the other via the heart.

Good Luck and let me know how u get on

another solution is,

3 port valves sometimes motor to far over and get stuck,this usually happens in winter when boilers are on for most of the day,

to prevent this,turn your cylinder stat up to the top (so it won't reach temp)

and turn your boiler stat down.

Automated Home Jr Member

I had the same problem yesterday with my central heating. I had hot water but no heating. My solution was to replace the head of the motorised valve. Well I had to buy the entire valve as the head wasn't available separately but as it was the same model number the new head fit on the old valve.

My heating works fine now.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I'm going to get a new Mid position valve at the weekend.
    Fingers crossed that it'll work.