Thread: KAT5 Mk.3

Automated Home Lurker

Default KAT5 Mk.3

Can anyone describe what is in the Mk.3 KAT5?

I know about support for IR passthrough on multi-drop installations (which is what I'd been waiting for), but is there other stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by cverrier View Post
    Can anyone describe what is in the Mk.3 KAT5?

I know about support for IR passthrough on multi-drop installations (which is what I'd been waiting for), but is there other stuff?
    That just about sums it up.

The Mk3 is the same as the Mk2 but with the addition of IR passthrough on multidrop installations.

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

I just learned that the KAT5 Mk.3 is delayed, So I just got a Mk.2 through the post.

If it all looks good when I get home tonight, and I want to go with a multidrop, Am I going to have to write-off the Mk.2, or will there be an upgrade route?

Does a multdrop system need Mk.3's everywhere to work? or could a Mk.2 be used alongside a subsequently purchased Mk.3 ?

I just learned that the KAT5 Mk.3 is delayed, So I just got a Mk.2 through the post.

If it all looks good when I get home tonight, and I want to go with a multidrop, Am I going to have to write-off the Mk.2, or will there be an upgrade route?

Does a multdrop system need Mk.3's everywhere to work? or could a Mk.2 be used alongside a subsequently purchased Mk.3 ?
    You wont have to write anything off. To use a Mk2 along with Mk3s it will need a slight modification.

If the Mk2 was to be used as the intermediate receiver it could be used without modification but would not have IR as is currently the case.

Regards

Keith

Automated Home Lurker

So.... I can use the Mk2 as the end-point? with Mk3's for the intermediate links?

and, I assume, the end-point also only needs one CAT5 socket?

So.... I can use the Mk2 as the end-point? with Mk3's for the intermediate links?
    Not unless it is modified. The Mk2 units drove the IR circuitry at all times which is why units used as intermediate one had to have it disabled.

Please note: this does NOT mean that they constantly sent IR !!!

Mk3 unit only drive the IR circuitry when an IR signal is recieved so multiple units can be connected at the same time.

and, I assume, the end-point also only needs one CAT5 socket?
    Yes.