• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom-HomeComms
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TimH View Post
    Yes, if you distribute HD as a component level signal and the audio as SPDIF. You can run it over a "video" set of KAT5 modules. There are a number of people on the UKHA_D mailing list doing just this

I don't think the KAT5 website (www.kat5.tv) currently describes it, and I'm not sure what Katman's view is, but this *is* possible.

HTH,

Tim.
    Yep loads of component/digital audio convertors available. Give me a shout if you need any more help.

Comment

• Grecian
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Tom-HomeComms View Post
      I'm sure this has been said before but there is very little benefit of CAT6 over CAT5e and certainly in a house it will be a pain as its manufactured right on the limits so it wont take kinks and tight bends.
      Never use stranded Cable as it will not terminate properly and you wont have any problems with solid Core cable, we install hundreds of CAT5 cables in houses and have never had any problems with cores snapping etc, you would have to treat them very badly in order to snap the cores.
      If you have any other questions then give me a PM!
      Hope this has been of some help.

Tom
      Thanks for the info - how is solid core cable described from a product point of view - i have seen stranded and UTP CAT 5E but not solid core?

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Grecian View Post
        Thanks for the info - how is solid core cable described from a product point of view - i have seen stranded and UTP CAT 5E but not solid core?
        "Cat 5e UTP" is the frequent designation, although this covers both solid and stranded. Stranded is usually referred to as "patch cable". Stranded is usually noticably more expensive, so that's another clue too.

Here's some links to solid cable. Prices vary with the market price of copper, and it's been on the up recently.

Google for "cat5e utp solid" and this will show up loads of other links too

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• alexstephenson
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2017

Benefit of cat 5 cables.

1.Cat5e cable in varying lengths or bulk cable reels to meet your specific requirements
          2.Cabling tools and connectors to complete your installation successfully
          3.Cat5e patch cables in various lengths
          4.Patch panels
          5..Wall-mounted or free-standing cabinets for network equipment
          6.Server cabinets
          7.Custom-made cables and patch cables for your unique specifications

Benefit of cat 5 cables.

CAT6 is successor of CAT5e with few more improvements in speed and frequency.
          The speed of cat6 is 10 Mbps to 10 Gbps and their frequency is 250 Mhz
          The new network infrastructures are using CAT6, so they are easily available in market. They require Gigabit compatible hardware for their installation.

2.. you have to studied about the UTP or STP cable, solid core or stranded following below.

UTP Cable Stripping Tool.

For Stripping the outer sheath from UTP/STP Cable
          Single rotary action
          Self Adjusting

solid core or stranded include cat5e Patch Cables that are perfect for both office and home solutions and are capable of transmitting data speeds of 1 Gigabit per second/100bms, (faster than the old standard cat 5 patch cables).

3..50mm (2 in) should be sufficient for putting away from mains cables.

Comment

• alexstephenson
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • May 2017

1. CAT5 cable is the oldest and slowest UTP cable. Now, these cables are not available in the stores but are available with an older router or any older networking device. but CAT6 is the successor of CAT5 with few more improvements in speed and frequency. The crosstalk (i.e. internal interference) is also reduced by making more twists in each copper pair. The new network infrastructures are using CAT6, so they are easily available in market. They require Gigabit compatible hardware for their installation.

2. UTP and STP Cable

Multi-Funcion Network Cable Tester - RJ45 / RJ11 / BNC
            LEDs for each wire
            - Pin configuration easy to read
            - Test installed cable of up to 1,000ft (300m) in length
            - Test RJ45, RJ11 (UTP,STP) and BNC for the following standards: EIA, TIA 356A, EIA,TIA 568A & B, AT&T258A and Token Ring
            - Easy to verify cable continuity, open, grounding, short and mis-wire
            - Auto or manual scan for pin out activators
            - Power switch saves battery life
            - Requires a 9-volt battery (not included)
            - Includes 2 x BNC adaptor and 1 x RJ45 modular cable

solid core or stranded
            CAT5E PATCH CABLES

1.Our No.1 Best Selling range of patch cables suitable for all office and domestic environments
            2.Pure copper metal conductor and RJ45 connectors for the best data transfer speeds
            3.Cat5e patch cables available from stock in 10 different colours from 0.25mtr up to 50mtr
            4.Cat5e can transmit data at speeds of up to 1 Gigabit per second/100mbs
            5.Features RJ45 connectors and flush moulded boots
            6.Order Online today for Next Day Courier Delivery

3.I think 50mm (2 in) is sufficient.

Comment

• MichaelD
              Automated Home Guru
              • Mar 2006

Has someone dug up a 10 year old thread so that they can post their homework?

3/10

Comment

Working...
              X