Thread: Vista Media Center

Automated Home Lurker

Default Vista Media Center

I'm planning to use Windows Vista to stream digital content around my house. I have a few questions...

1. Are there any wired MCE extenders which support HD?
    2. With multiple extenders is it possible to watch different TV channels in different rooms simultaneously? Will I need multiple TV tuners to do this?

Cheers,
    -Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by SaikoJosh View Post
    1. Are there any wired MCE extenders which support HD?
    2. With multiple extenders is it possible to watch different TV channels in different rooms simultaneously? Will I need multiple TV tuners to do this?
    1. XBox 360
    2. I don't know, but this site may help: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...r/default.mspx
    There's a link to an FAQ there too.

Cheers,

Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

I have heard rumours that the Freeview in Vista may not work initially... I haven't had chance to try it myself since the system I tried the Betas and RCs on didn't have a tuner.

HD Freeview definately won't be about for a bit.

As for your MCE extenders... the Linksys extender is generally considered to be one of the better ones but I don't think it does HD - it does have the option of a local DVD player though.
    Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful

Whenever I am not sure about anything relating to client OS I check out Paul Thurrots WinSuperSite. Have a look at this page:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_05g.asp
    under Windows Media Center

It suggests Media Center in Vista at release isn't that different to XP MCE under the hood. A new version of MCE with be released this coming Christmas which will take advantage of Vista features.