Thread: Can I run this past you ?

Default Can I run this past you ?

Hey Guys,

I'd like to run my setup past you guys to see what you think and if you can see any problems or pitfalls.

I have a 32" LCD in my lounge.
    I have my node0 in an outbuilding. The cat5 cable run is approx 50meters.
    In node0 I have my Sky+ box and a PixelMagic MB200 Media Server.

I would like to distribute the Sky+ and media server to the LCD TV. I'm currently using RF which is basically a bit pants on the LCD.

I was thinking about using the KAT5AV units as the Sky+ and MB200 both support SVideo. I would have ideally liked to use the KAT5RGB but unfortunately the MB200 is using the RGB connectors to send component to a local projector.

I was planning on using an automatic scart switcher before the transmitter, thus both units can share one KAT5 unit.

Anyone see any problems with this setup ? My biggest concern is the SVideo picture quality on a 32" LCD. Will it be good enough ? AWould I gain anything from using STP over UTP cable ?

Your input is apprecaited.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc; 25th January 2007 at 05:54 PM.

Hi Marc

S-video will definately be superior to the RF link that you are currently using.

If you were to use an RGB to Component converter for the SKY box you could use RGB KAT5 units to send Component + SPDIF digital Audio to the house. RGB units when used for RGB need all 4 pairs for the 4 video signals so are unable to carry analogue audio.

The media server feeding the projector isnt a problem because the input termination on KAT5 transmitters is switchable so you can simply connect to both with no problem.

No advantage whatsoever in using STP. Stick with good old CAT5e UTP.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    If you were to use an RGB to Component converter for the SKY box you could use RGB KAT5 units to send Component + SPDIF digital Audio to the house. RGB units when used for RGB need all 4 pairs for the 4 video signals so are unable to carry analogue audio.
    OK I am a bit confused. The unit does not support analogue audio but does support SPDIF audio ? How does that work ? Is there a separate connector for the SPDIF as well as the component inputs ? Does the audio signal sit on the back of the video signal ?

The media server feeding the projector isnt a problem because the input termination on KAT5 transmitters is switchable so you can simply connect to both with no problem.
    My apologies but I don't understand that. How do I feed the media server to both the projector AND the KAT5 ? Keeping in mind that I will also need a component switcher feeding the KAT5 to switch between the Sky+ and Media server. Would I need an additional switcher ? or would I have Y connectors to feed both ?

No advantage whatsoever in using STP. Stick with good old CAT5e UTP.
    That's good news as STP is bloody expensive

My apologies for the silly questions but I only have basic knowledge of audio visual interconnects.

Cheers

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    OK I am a bit confused. The unit does not support analogue audio but does support SPDIF audio ? How does that work ? Is there a separate connector for the SPDIF as well as the component inputs ? Does the audio signal sit on the back of the video signal ?
    Standard KAT5 units have two video channels (for S-Video ) plus two audio channels for Left and Right analogue audio.

RGB units have 4 video channels to carry Red, Green, Blue and Sync. Because there are only 4 pairs in a CAT5 cable this doesnt leave any spare capacity for analogue Audio.

SPDIF can be carried over a Video channel. Because the RGB units have 4 video channels and Component only needs 3 for Y-Cr-Cb this leaves a spare video channel that can be used to carry the SPDIF. It could be used for Analogue audio if the 75ohm termination is switched off, but as there is only the one spare channel you could only have Mono Analogue Audio instead of the full blown surround that you get with SPDIF.

My apologies but I don't understand that. How do I feed the media server to both the projector AND the KAT5 ? Keeping in mind that I will also need a component switcher feeding the KAT5 to switch between the Sky+ and Media server. Would I need an additional switcher ? or would I have Y connectors to feed both ?
    Sorry, forgot about the requirement for switching between two sources. If you were just using it for the Media server then by switching off the termination resistors on the KAT5 Transmitter you can simply use "Y" connectors to loop the signal through.

Regards

Keith

OK sounds good to me.. so...

I have my Sky+ going into an RGB->Component converter. That component signal then goes into a component switch.

I have my Media server going into a Y connector with one end going to the projector and the other end going into the component switch.

The output from the component switch goes into the KAT5 unit.

Sound about right ?

What connectors does the KAT5 unit have for the SPDIF ?

Many Thanks, appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    OK sounds good to me.. so...

I have my Sky+ going into an RGB->Component converter. That component signal then goes into a component switch.
    YES

I have my Media server going into a Y connector with one end going to the projector and the other end going into the component switch.
    unless the component switch has a switchable termination on its input you cant just use a Y splitter as the signal would be double terminated. you either need a distribution amp to drive both the projector and component switch or find a component switch that can handle two sets of outputs, one for the KAT5 and the other for the Projector unless you manually change the media server output from projector to switch.

The output from the component switch goes into the KAT5 unit.

Sound about right ?
    Yes.

If you NEVER wanted the projector to show something different to the LCD then you could wire it up like this...

Code:
    MediaServer----\            /---Projector
                     SWITCH-----
    Skybox+conv---/            \---KAT5 RGBTX-----CAT5-----KAT5 RGBRX---LCDtv
    .... in which case you wouldnt need a distribution amp.

What connectors does the KAT5 unit have for the SPDIF ?
    you need the Phono version of KAT5 RGB.

OK that all sounds good. I think I'll need to sit down and decide on what I want.

On one side I like the idea of using a component signal but it's going to mean spending more money on signal converters etc. Also I don't think my LCD TV has a digital audio input (at least I can't see one on the back).

On the other side I worry about what quality I will get from my devices on SVideo. In the past when I have used SVideo and it's quality has not been great. A 32" LCD tends to amplify any artefacts or interference.

Of course I'll also have to run it past the SWMBO

Thanks katman, appreciate you taking the time to help !

Cheers

Marc