Thread: KAT5 Mk2 - IR odd behaviour with Sky+ remote

Automated Home Lurker

Default KAT5 Mk2 - IR odd behaviour with Sky+ remote

I just got my KAT5 Mk2 working - Picture is excellent. All working after slight hiccup with a faulty power-supply, but Laser sent another, no questions asked.

BUT IR is a bit off in a spooky way.

I have
    - Sky+ with KAT5 TX
    - Toshiba 37" Flat Panel with KAT5 RX

Initially, I thought that the IR was faulty, as it didn't respond to the Sky remote. Blue LED on the RX was flashing away, but no actual response from the Sky Box two floors away.

I then discovered that it worked occasionally when the remote was pointed up at the ceiling or if I cupped my hand in front of the remote.

A bit more experimenting, and I can make things work (mostly) with the remote pointed 90 or so degrees away from the RX IR dongle. Still a bit hit and miss though.

Any ideas? - is the RX being overpowered by the Sky Remote signal (too bright or something???)

Quote Originally Posted by cverrier View Post
    I just got my KAT5 Mk2 working - Picture is excellent. All working after slight hiccup with a faulty power-supply, but Laser sent another, no questions asked.

BUT IR is a bit off in a spooky way.

I have
    - Sky+ with KAT5 TX
    - Toshiba 37" Flat Panel with KAT5 RX

Initially, I thought that the IR was faulty, as it didn't respond to the Sky remote. Blue LED on the RX was flashing away, but no actual response from the Sky Box two floors away.

I then discovered that it worked occasionally when the remote was pointed up at the ceiling or if I cupped my hand in front of the remote.

A bit more experimenting, and I can make things work (mostly) with the remote pointed 90 or so degrees away from the RX IR dongle. Still a bit hit and miss though.

Any ideas? - is the RX being overpowered by the Sky Remote signal (too bright or something???)

If the TV is turned off can you control the SKY box OK or is it the same (obviously you cant see it with the TV off but someone looking at a different TV could)

Where is the IR receiver module located in relation to the TV ?

Is the blue LED flickering even when you arent sending IR ?

Which model of SKY+ box do you have. It could be that the IR is too strong. I did have someone else who suffered from that problem. I got SKY+ so that I could recreate it but my box worked fine!!!

Try moving the IR emitter a few inches away from the receiver on the SKY box and see if that solves the problem. If it does then contact me so tha I can send you an attenuator to reduce the IR power.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

IR Module on the RX is about 6 inches below the lower edge of the TV screen - I tried both in front and behind the plane of the screen with no difference.

Blue LED only flickers with the remote (or when actively using other IR devices) no flashing to suggest an unexpected IR source.

Pace Sky+ box. Model 4.019e (Not the Sky 160).

Moving the IR emitter 3 inches away and 2 feet away both resulted in loss of all response. Sticking the emitter to the front of the Sky box is the only way to get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by cverrier View Post
    Pace Sky+ box. Model 4.019e (Not the Sky 160).

Moving the IR emitter 3 inches away and 2 feet away both resulted in loss of all response. Sticking the emitter to the front of the Sky box is the only way to get a response.
    What manufacturer is the box. The number you have given looks like the EPG version. (Mine is 4.20a)

Will do a couple of tests here to see if I can recreate the problem.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

I have the PACE TDS470N (The 80Gb model).

It is a common problem with Sky boxes being overloaded with IR when not using the RF2 output on the rear of the box.

Trial and error I am afraid, sometimes it seems like the whole of the Sky receivers case is IR transparent and it bounces arround in there causing the IR receiver to get confused about what code is actually being received.
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.