Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clipsal ulti light switches??

Automated Home Lurker

Default clipsal ulti light switches??

helo, id like to ask the forums advice on this lighting project i have any tips/advice

i just found the ulti range last night, it looks like the solution to my home extention lighting problem, i.e intergrating the old with the new, and being able to upgrade the old over time.
    im looking to do two main areas, kitchen/dinner and master bed/onsuite kitchen dinner has
    1 switch dimmable for 5 50w max gu10`s cooking zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 4 50w max gu 10`s eating zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 2 or 3 pendant lights max 50w each eating zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable ( i think) for 6 over cupboard lights 35w max each cooking zone halogen
    1 switch for 6 under cuboard lights 35w max each cooking zone halogen
    1 switch dimmable for 2 x 50w max wall lights either tungsten or pref energy saving bulbs or halogen

at present i have wired the mains to power these with 1.5mm t&e to a double 47mm back box all switches where to be daisy chained as power is on a radial through the back boxes, if i need to change back boxes thats ok as we are at first fix right now.
    was hoping for some two way switching for the main cooking zone cieling lights from entering from utility room and at the other end from dinning room but that switch would turn on main dinning zone lights.

master bed can wait as it may be just as easy to use standard dimmers and switches there as mood settings are not as important.

thanks in advance for any help.
    mika from portsmouth

Ulti is good and looks very nice however it is a little limited on its whole house capabilities.

Have a look at Rako as they have just launched thier PLL device which sits in back boxes, controls the local circuit and also listens to the Rako keypad signals. Other Rako modules include curtain controllers, Timer clocks and text message controllers. There are also a growing number of automation controllers that can talk Rako out and listen to Rako button presses.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Automated Home Lurker

thanks for reply chris, i tried to email your site last week but it just bounced back at me.

looking at the requirements i listed above, what would you say would be the best way to go about lighting this kitchen?
    ive had quotes of any thing from 400 up wards just for the hardware.
    seems a lot of money when i could go to TLC and get nice looking dimmer switches and ajust the lighting manualy for about 100
    im willing to spend more but the switches have to look nice and i did want to use the existing 240v 5amp wiring, not too keen on remote recivers hidden in the ceiling void, if you can persuade me otherwise, ill listen.

i dont mind playing with software either
    regards mikaj

Sorry your email got bounced, we are having a lot of problems with Spam at the moment so please check you have the correct address.

Which site were you using, K2 or Intouch?

The nice thing about the new PLL dimmers from Rako is that they go into the backboxes not in the ceiling. But without the cost of a keypad at every location they become a good solution,

The PLL can be driven by either a single contact closure button as a cover plate or by a Rako wireless controller.

I am with Rako next week, discussing these and looking at how to upgrade our whole house.
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Automated Home Lurker

thanks chris could you give me a link to these ppl dimmers thanks and what does the ppl stand for? sorry pll?
    btw i was using the k2 site
    Last edited by mikaj; 10th January 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Mikaj,

Just to throw my 0.02 pence into the discussion, I know that ULTI switches would do what you need to without any major issues - the biggest drawback would be the price of the switches against your budget (they aren't the cheapest).

However, I much prefer the finish on the ULTI switches to the Rako switches, but that's an issue of personal taste.
    As Vex mentions, the PLL units can be driven by a contact closure switch so you can pick your own light switches, which negates that issue.

The build quality of ULTI is excellent - I can't compare directly with Rako as I've only played with their equipment in demos and at shows. I just wish they would bring the price down a little as it's an excellent, simple retro-fit system that is stylish but a little expensive.

Craig
    UK Automation - UK Home Automation suppliers
    Free delivery on orders over 200!

Actually, i don't know what PILL stands for, I will find out when I am with them next week.

Actual function of the PILL contact closure is press and release - it comes on to last brightness level

Press and Hold - It will come on and ramp up the light level to Max and stop.
    Press and Hold again - It will ramp down to off and stop.

I think these are great and will be using them throughout our house in the next month or so because I can get them to match our existing light switches.

(OT Craig we need to talk, will give you a call)

If you pm me your email address I can send you the PILL instruction sheet as it is to big to upload here.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vex View Post
    Actually, i don't know what PILL stands for, I will find out when I am with them next week.
    Just had a look on the Rako website and found this

http://www.rakocontrols.com/download...sheetlores.pdf

It still gives no insight into what PILL stands for but looking at the picture it could just be a reference to the shape. It is reminiscent of the wartime "Pill Box" bunkers that dotted the coastline.

It could also be an acronym aimed at some of the more hefty members of this forum who may be too heavy handed when operating the switch used to control it.....

Push It Lightly Lardarse

Could also be a medical reference..... take one of these for each lighting circuit and if your lighting doesnt improve get a cBus system
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

katman, thanks for that, so as i want 6 zones in the kitchen would i need one of these pill`s for each zone? does that mean i would need 6 individual on/off wall switches?
    appreciate the help.
    mikaj