• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nimbus
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2007

need some reading material

hello guys
    nice forum and just the place to start my project. Im about to build my own home and am very interested in installing an intergrated system, my own background is electrical and have installed plenty of hardwired networks.
    I would like to use a low voltage system integrating security and heating (under-floor) i also like the look of some of the touch screen controlers (prices seem massive) not that interested in intergrating audio/video but would be nice to have the option.
    from what i have read im getting confused for instance does these expensive touchpads control the periferals directly or is there a seperate control unit for the wiring loom? as you can see i need to do some reading to get a good grounding on whats needed im happy if its books magazines or the net.
    any sugestions?
    cheers
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

And get yourself to the Smart Home bit of the Home Building and Renovating show in March.

They'll be plenty of toys there but also a good numer of us to help you on your way.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• nimbus
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2007

cheers the wiring guide from otto is very interesting and the offer of help is much appriciated cant see me getting to the home building show as im residing in Ireland and haven't much spare time. you guys are probebly at this so long that you forget how a newbe gets bewildered with the choice and range out there. is there any free software i could download so i can get the feel of whats possible as i say heating and security is my main priority as well as web based function
      cheers

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Have a look at www.homeseer.com they offfer a free trial of their software. Another place place to have a look is http://xion.annalytics.co.uk/
        What sort of heating will you be using. Under floor (wet or electric) or rads.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• nimbus
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2007

cheers toscal am going to check these links out tomorrow, my underfloor heating will be (wet) i will also be installing this myself as i want to get as much experiance of the "New" technologies as possible

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nimbus View Post
            cant see me getting to the home building show as im residing in Ireland and haven't much spare time.
            Nimbus - I'm in Ireland too (near Belfast) and the SmartHome show is easy to visit for a day as the NEC is right beside Birmingham airport. You can fly over do the show and fly back the same day...

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• nimbus
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2007

otto is that flights with easy-jet? im in belfast myself and am wondering if the wiring guide is your own work? my plan is to locate the node zero in the utility room (back of garage) along with the gas boiler, underfloor heating controls, main circuit board for house electricts and so on

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                Founder
                • Jan 2004

otto is that flights with easy-jet? im in belfast myself
                I just booked my flights this morning - flybe.com were the cheapest for the dates and times I needed (I'm staying over night).

and am wondering if the wiring guide is your own work?
                Yes, it needs updating/finishing, but hopefully it gives people a few ideas.

Thanks

M.
                Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                www.twitter.com/ottomate
                www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Nimbus,

If you haven't already done so you can download a 30 day free trial version of our Cortex software. This will give you a better idea of the overall system capabilities and we'd be happy to try and help answer technical/installation questions you may have. As you may have seen from our portfolio pages, multi-zone underfloor heating, security etc. is just our sort of kettle of fish :-)

Karam
                  IDRATEK LTD

Comment

• nimbus
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Feb 2007

cheers karam will check out the software

Comment

Working...
                    X