• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sebmaster
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2007

Satellite distribution

Hi,

I had a question about distributing Sky+ around a house I will be doing some work on in the near future.

Basically I want the living room, and 3 bedrooms capable of Sky+, i.e. two independant satellite outputs.

My idea was:

Dish with quad LNB supplies loft room directly, then feeds down onto first floor into closet.
    In this there is a 2x6 multiswitch, the LNB outputs go into the inputs on this and from the outputs, 2 go into a dual multiplexer, leading down a cable into the living room*, and 4 go into a quad multiplexer, leading to a cable going to the far corner of 2 rooms opposite the closet, where a quad demultiplexer splits it, 2 just get taken off immediately, and 2 go through the wall into the other room.

The reason for this is I want as few cables as possible, this is an old house, its all brick so there is no laying cables inside the walls.
    *There is already a TV coax leading to the living room.

Is there anyone that knows TV/Satellite who would be able to help me?

Have I got the above right or is the configuration wrong.

One final thing, can anyone recommend anywhere I would go about purchasing the components for this, there are only a couple of stores that sell multiswitches that I can find, and nowhere that sells quad multiplexers, surely with all the hotels, etc there is a big market for satellite distribution, why cant I find any products?

Thanks!
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

The theory sounds all ok to me, but I dont think you have enought outputs on your multiswitch.

Basicaaly you want Sky+ capability in any of the four rooms, 4 x 2 is 8.

So you need a 5 x 8 switch this will give you 1 UHF/FM input, 4 Sat inputs (one for each polarity) and then 8 outputs giving 2 in each of the four rooms, all outputs will offer full polarity switching and the UHF/FM channels. Use a Triplexer to split these back out.

I am not sure what you mean by the quad demulitplexer but if you are thinking of 'stacking' two of the satellite polarities dont do it, they are crap, especailly if you are trying to use old coax cable.

THT

Chris
    Last edited by vex; 13 February 2007, 01:25 PM. Reason: clarifying a couple of points
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• sebmaster
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2007

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The quad demulti. was so I could squeeze 4 sat down one line, but if that wont work then I suppose I can take down the cables directly from the multiswitch down from the loft for the 2 first floor rooms.

Just a couple of questions, you said 4 polarities, I was under the impression that Sky used only 2? Is this wrong?

About the triplexer, how would I go about attaching this? I would have thought each output would be sending one sat capable of switching polarity, and UHF, so would I diplex 2 outputs right off the multiswitch, transmit down coax, then triplex at end giving me 2 sat and 1 UHF?

I have included a diagram JPG of how I think I should be laying it out, am I right?

I would assume that id want to use satellite cable (eg CT100) as much as possible, but ill be ok with some regular TV coax for part of the system right?

Thanks!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sebmaster; 13 February 2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

Unfortunately you struggle to get two stallite polarities down one cable so 4 is completely out of the question.

Sky transmits in 4 polarities, LHr, LV, HHr and HV (L-low band, H-High Band, Hr-Horizontal, V-Vertical) so you need four feeds off the dish.

When we talk about di-plexing and triplexing we mean the combining of two or three different bands, ie TV, FM and Satellite, as they all sit in different frequency ranges on the cable. You need clever 'stacking' equipment to send two satellite polarities down one cable and they have never really worked properly.

Basically, if you want two satellite feeds in the same location, you need to cables.

Also, personally, I would use CT100 or CAI approved cable everywhere, it is tested to a specific performance and should garentee results.
        Hope that clears things up for you.
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• sebmaster
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2007

Hi,

Yes that is clear now thanks.

Since im having electrical work done on the loft, Ill put the multiswitch up there and get the electrician to route 2 cables to each room.

Ive enclosed another diagram to how I understand it now.

Also, since I know understand the triplexer to split bands and multiplex data, can I mix and match makes when picking components?

Thanks again
          Attached Files

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

Spot on Sebbmaster.

Comment

• sebmaster
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2007

Excellent, ill start looking for parts.

Thanks loads Vex!

Comment

Working...
              X