Thread: New wireless thermostat recommendations?

Automated Home Lurker

Default New wireless thermostat recommendations?

Hi there,

I currently have a Sunvic mechanical thermostat in the hottest room in the house (thanks previous owner!) and it's getting on my nerves having to ramp up the stat to get any heat in the rest of the house and then turn it down again so you don't roast in that room.

I think a wireless thermostat would be useful as I can place it elsewhere and even try a few places to see where works best. I don't want to do a new wired one so am thinking I can attach the receiver to where my current room stat is and put the new stat elsewhere. It's a mains voltage system - is this going to be a simple DIY job of changing wires into the receiver instead of the mechanical stat? Also, what are the recommendations on manufacturer of new wireless gear - there seem so many from unbranded stuff on eBay to top dollar Honeywell stuff - what's best?

It would be good if there were some timer aspect as well so I can change the temperature for different times of the day (although not essential by any means). I've also seen an 'optimum' setting mentioned whereby the thermostat learns how long it takes to heat the room up and works back the time to turn on the heating. This sounds like an excellent idea in these times of extortionate gas prices!

Lastly I assume this new thermostat would have no impact on my hot water like my current one doesn't - that works on a cylinder stat so both can work independently (subject to the overall timer/programmer of course)

Many thanks all

have you not thought about thermostatic rad valves as an option?

Automated Home Lurker

Hi there, yes I've considered TRV's as an option. I don't know if one of these would be enough in the overheated bedroom and then leave the room stat where it is. However if needed to change all rads then the cost is surely far in excess of moving the stat?

you can't go wrong with honewell although,

if you have an alpha boiler you can't beat their own brand.

I had a similar problem in my lounge. Lounge roasting rest of house cool.
    I have 3 rads in the lounge. So I fitted a thermostatic valve to the largest rad. This solved the problem. Rest of the house nice and warm and the lounge now no longer roasting.

Automated Home Lurker

I do the electrical work for boiler changes for a plumbing and heating company and some times its a real pain to install the room stat in the right position so I fit a Sunvic Digital RF Wireless stat. The receiver can be fitted where the old stat is as long as the cable is 3 core and earth or as is usually the case fit the receiver next to the boiler and connect up there. Cost about £50 - £60 so so won't break the bank.