Thread: help - heating comes on with hot water

Automated Home Lurker

Default help - heating comes on with hot water

Hi, hope someone can help. My 85 year old neighbour's heating comes on everytime she puts on her hot water. i know a bit about plumbing and thought it might be reversed circualtion, but she has a 3 port mid position valve, not 2 port, or 2 x 2 port valves. this problem only started a couple of weeks ago. could it be that the switch in the valve is stuck and the valve needs replacing? the motor runs when the heating comes on. I've asked around and have been told with the 3 port the valve it would be the other way around, the hot water comes on with the heating. can someone point me in the right direction so i can help get this fixed. thanks!

Automated Home Jr Member

Yeah it's almost certainly the valve sticking open. I take it that its a Combi boiler!

Automated Home Lurker

thanks!
    she says the boiler was there when she moved there 30 years ago, so how old is anyone's guess! it's a potterton, not sure of the model, but it's free standing. and outsid the house in an outhouse!
    so the best bet would be to replace the 3 port valve then?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skully View Post
    thanks!
    she says the boiler was there when she moved there 30 years ago, so how old is anyone's guess! it's a potterton, not sure of the model, but it's free standing. and outsid the house in an outhouse!
    so the best bet would be to replace the 3 port valve then?
    Yeah if you can find one!

it does sound like the 3 port valve,

on a 3 port the water will almost certainly come on with the central heating unless it's up to temp,

the motor in the valve has probably motored to far over and can't get back, this usually happens this time of year when the central heating is on for most of the day.