• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forthy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2007

Getting started...

Hi guys,

Been reading up on this forum for a while now, and am about to move house and start automating. It's a great forum, and it's answered loads of my questions already, but I've never actually seen any HA stuff in the flesh, so I'd just like to ask a couple of quick questions to make sure I'm not way off!

Basically, the ultimate goal at the new place will be to have all the lights and curtains on HA, and a CCTV/Security system all integrated. (I might even look at heating after that too!) I'm good with computers and electronics so I'm not scared of jumping in, my worry is if I get started with one format on the lights, and then find later that I can't integrate the CCTV system to it. Or finding that one fomat would have been better for my needs after spending loads on a different one.

I'd like to eventually control the system via two wall mounted 8" touchscreens (one upstairs, one down) and also be able to log in to it via the internet (and possibly phone).

Budget wise, this will be a very much 'ongoing project' where I'll start with a few bits and gradually add to it as funds allow, so the system has to be expandable.

And so to the questions:

(1) If I go with This 'starter kit' (and a few other lighting units) for my frst purchase will I be going far wrong? (X10 going to be my best bet?)

(2) Will the harmony software be ok for use with touchscreens?

(3) What complications are there to integrate CCTV and security in to these things?

(4) I guess that to log in via the internet I'll be needing a static IP? How does phoning in work?

(5) Am I missing a vital piece to the HA puzzle?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Starter kit looks fine. You will probably end up buying a few more modules about a month later.
    You no longer need a static ip. have a look here www.no-ip.com or here www.dyndns.com
    Integrating CCTV depends on two things the system you use and how do you want to use it.
    Security is quite easy as you have got many alarm systems that have X10 controllers either built in or as an addon module. Or some have a serial interface to comunicate with various home automation controllers. There are also PC interfaces for various alarm systems as well. Most alarm system can let you phone in,so you can send various commands from arm, disarm to lights on. This is normally done using touch tones, or some can cope with SMS messages.
    Touchscreens look cool. But if this is your main control how do you switch or control things when you are sitting down or in another room. I use a Logitech 895 remote for tv etc and the lights.
    Hope this helps.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Forthy
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      Touchscreens look cool. But if this is your main control how do you switch or control things when you are sitting down or in another room.
      Yeah, sorry, was planning on using a remote control too.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X