Thread: worcester 24 cdi falling pressure

Automated Home Lurker

Default worcester 24 cdi falling pressure

Hi I have had a worcester boiler since 1997 and have been relatively happy with it over the years. We have had a falling pressure though over the past year. We thought that it was from a couple of leaking radiators which have been fixed - the most recent one being last week. The pressure is still falling. I now don't really know what to do. I mean we can manually fill it up but I don't really think that that is great as we're not solving the problem. We have one radiator which is quite cool (it is a double and whilst it has two bleeding points one of them seems to have seized up and so we can only bleed from one end). I don't know if this forms part of the problem or not. Any suggestions would be greatfully received. Thanks.

If your boiler is sited at the highest point of the system it could be that your system is starting to rot creating hydrogen, that then being vented through the auto air bleed on the boiler thus dropping the pressure.

Solution is add some inhibiter to the system,

Otherwise check the pressure release valve where it terminates outside for signs of any water drops,

Or you have a leak somewhere.

Automated Home Lurker

Well well went to check the valve outside and low and behold there is water on the floor and water inside the little pipe. So presume it must be that! Thanks. The only thing is what does that mean? Is it a major problem which I need to get fixed straight away or can I save up a bit of money first!!!!???? Thanks

It could just be that the valve is faulty, it's not a big job and the valve costs around a tenner,

Take a note of what pressure the boiler is at when cold, then see what pressure it’s at when the central heating is up to temp, just to make sure it is the valve and not the pressure vessel,

The valve could be blowing off ,if the pressure rises above 3 bar when the central heating is on.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi I set the pressure yesterday at 1 1/2 when it was cold. It lost pressure during the day and then when the heating was on it got up towards 2, but no more. Does that mean it could be the pressure vessel and if so is that a bigger job?

No, it’s the pressure release valve, sounds like the boiler’s working as it should.

Automated Home Lurker

Sorry but I am being thick here sunbeam. The boiler is losing pressure and so it gets to a point where I need to top it up again. So it has gone down since I last topped it up on Wednesday. Surely it should stay at the same level - otherwise I am going to have to keep topping it up on a weekly basis. That can't be working properly can it? Sorry if that's a thick question.

sorry Bexx it's my fault,

i meant that the pressure vessel is OK, the boiler is working fine but the pressure release valve is passing,

what you can do to try and re-seat it is, if you can locate the valve, there will be a knob on the top usually red, turn on the filling loop to the boiler and then turn the knob thus letting water out as quick as it comes in, do this a couple of times and the valve may re-seat.

if not then it's a new valve.

Automated Home Lurker

Mmmmmm ..... well that sounds very technical but I think that I may have a go at that this weekend. I presume that I should be able to locate the valve by looking in the manual. I'm now a dab hand at putting the water in so we will see if it's possible to do the reverse!!!??? Many thanks for your help. Will let you know if the problem is solved or whether I will have to get an expert in. Have a good weekend.

Automated Home Lurker

Smile

thankyou Sunbeam!!! A long time ago I posted this thread about my boiler and you were absolutely spot on!! I tried to fix it but with no luck. Got a plumber in and he said exactly the same thing - so I knew I could trust him. So thankyou. Saved alot of bother and hassle