• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bexx
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2007

banging radiator

Hi another question.

I have a radiator or pipe leading into it which seriously bangs. Not all the time and it appears to be when the heating has been on for a long time - like today - and it is just ticking over. The banging is so loud as if something is stuck and trying to get through if that makes any sense. We have changed the thermostat as we thought it might be that but it hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions as to what we could try next.

The radiator is upstairs if that makes any difference. Thanks.
  • sunbeam
    • Feb 2006

When you say you’ve changed the thermostat I take it you mean the thermostatic rad valve,

It does sound like it is fluttering on its seating as it’s shutting down when getting to temp, they usually do this if there on the wrong way round i.e. on the return instead of the flow,

My idea would be to fit it on the other side of the rad.

Comment

• sunbeam
      • Feb 2006

Having said this are you sure it’s coming from that rad these noises can be very deceptive, it could be coming from another rad

Comment

• bexx
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Mar 2007

Not sure if that is the problem. When the heating comes on, the thermostat is on the side where the is initially hottest. Having said that when I move the thermostat slightly the banging stops??!! If the thermostat was on the wrong end on the one below would that make it bang??

Comment

• sunbeam
          • Feb 2006

If the banging stops when you turn the stat up or down, then either the stat is faulty or it’s on the wrong way,

With some makes of stat you have to turn a ring under the valve head so the water flows the right way through it,

Comment

Working...
          X