Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and Hello

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Introduction and Hello

Hi there,

My name's Duncan Margetts, I've just joined the forum. I work for Clipsal Integrated Systems in Adelaide, South Australia where I lead the Software Development Team.

I'm looking forward to participating here, it's great to see an online community for C-Bus developing! C-Bus is one of the great passions of my life! (closely followed by my kids, my Bedford Trucks and my power tools :-))

I'm currently C-Bus'ing my own home, a retrofit on a 4Bed/2BR brick veneer home, more on that later!

Looking forward to participating in your forum.
    Cheers,

Duncan Margetts
    Clipsal Integrated Systems.

Personal Blog http://www.duncanmargetts.com/blog/

Views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Clipsal Integrated Systems.

Default Re: Introduction and Hello

Duncan

I've enjoyed our email "chats" so far. Many thanks for joining our CBus forum.

It's great to have someone from the "inside" here and we look forward to tapping into that wealth of knowledge

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Duncan,

Nice to see another software developer, especially one on the inside!

Currently underway writing a user interface to combine C-Bus with multi room AV. At the moment I am trying the serial/com approach using the C-Gate server using Delphi & ASync Pro.

Also downloaded the xPL framework although haven't as yet had time to try it; any views on the xPL Project?

What are area of development are you based; front end, hardware etc?
    Cheers
    Greg...

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,

No opinion on the xPL framework.

Delphi was a GREAT choice, the new installation software is all Delphi/Indy comms. We'll have some Delphi libraries out soon after the release of V3 for tag database interfacing. I'm undecided but we may also release a Delphi library for interacting with CGate, timetables will determine what gets released.

My development is all C-Bus front end Windows stuff. Predominately the V3 software at the moment.
    Cheers,

Duncan Margetts

Views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Clipsal Integrated Systems.

Duncan - is it possible to tell us when you expect V3 to be released?

Thanks

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Mark,

Soon.. sorry to be a bit unclear.. its such a large peice of work that we're treading extremely carefully.

Because misprogramming C-Bus units can render them inoperable the volume of testing that we're undertaking with V3 is quite signifcant, especially because we're supporting almost every unit ever released. Not to mention a whole range of new units :-)
    Cheers,

Duncan Margetts

Automated Home Jr Member

Mark, and others,

Just one more thing.. when I get a few moments tomorrow I'll post a few screenshots of different features to give you a feel for whats in the package.
    Cheers,

Duncan Margetts

Duncan, that would be excellent! Thanks.

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

Duncan,

Good to see some support for Delphi downunder, I look forward to any code / libraries to make the techies job easier!

I have just placed my 2nd phase order that include HomeGate v2, do you know if there will be an upgrade path in the UK?

Don't know your chosen database exactly (although looks like xBase with compound indexing - Apollo / Advantage?) but you make want to take a look at DBISAM if you haven't already. The technology is SQL based and allows you to run an application stand-alone (300k footstamp in the exe) or with the Server running making it flexible for the future. The key benefits are; inexpensive, freely redistributable (including the server), easy to integrate into Delphi and very stable.

No I dont work for the company! I am in completion stages of large scale application using DBISAM as the back-end (BASIS Professional) and I am very impressed with it (very easy to support). More info can be found on their website (http://www.elevatesoft.com/appsc.htm)

Cheers
    Greg...
    Cheers
    Greg...

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Duncan --

Interesting to see that the development is in Delphi ... in South Africa Delphi is a lost art <g>

Are you using Delphi 7 or Delphi 8 (.Net) ?

Go well

-- rowan