Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and Hello

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: Introduction and Hello

Hi Rowan,

Speaking for my application only, I am using Delphi 7 Studio to run on the standard Windows OS mainly due to the speed of development being a key issue.

I support systems in near enough every version, including some Delphi 1 16bit systems!, it depends on the client basically.

We are sticking with v7 for all in house commericial developments for the time being, easier to role out & support for a large customerbase. I am also looking at C# for the .net side although as yet not landed a substantial enough contract to warrant .NET!

Borland & Delphi are still outcasts for IT directors as they don't conform to 'Bill Gates' idium of "there shall only be 1 software company, then nobody will know what they could of had!". Saying that the part shareholding Microsoft have in Borland has only gone to strengthen the company as whole.

There pro & cons from any language although having tried the majority of them I can, without any reservation, say that Delphi is the best rapid application development tool there is; VB only goes to play catch-up (speeded up after MS poaching Delphi's dev team!)

Basically if your a manager looking to mitigate risk, Microsoft; if your a developer wanting to get the job done Delphi.

The reason Delphi is dying in SA is because all your developers are over here earning a fortune in Rands!

Cheers
    Greg....
    Cheers
    Greg...

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Greg --

[Warning to all: way off topic]

We are an in-house team developing in Delphi 6 - we couldn't justify the move to 7 - looking to go to .Net: the learning curve will be steep but it will offer us a lot.

Our problem at the moment is Borland.

Delphi 7 was supposed to have a .Net version, which eventually morphed into Delphi 8, which initial reports described as bug-laden.

Add to that past history - Delphi 6 (that still has bugs that existed in Delphi 3/4) had two service packs, Delphi 7 (until recently) zip - has us looking at C#.

For myself - I go back to assembler, so another language (or operating system) is neither here nor there <g>

I have just built a new house that is equipped with C-Bus & a Minder, plus lots of CAT5. Once I have finished the final bits I am thinking of a small home project, which would be to use a PDA / Wi-Fi to control to house. I am considering C# for that - VS.Net has all the PDA extensions so it shouldn't be too difficult.

And as for the South Africans in Australia - well, with the way that our national rugby team is playing (or not playing), we had to find some method of retaliation <vbg>

Go well

-- rowan

Automated Home Jr Member

Rowan,

Borland claim that v7 was a lead in to .NET; what they really meant was -

"we don't have a clue so we will give you something irrelevant, by the time youve been led up the garden path we'll have it sussed"!

Aus? not me, from the UK.

Wish you good luck with your PDA project

Regards
    Greg...
    Cheers
    Greg...