• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

X10 Door bell?

From a newbie point of view, what's involved in setting up an X10 Door bell/chime?

I understand you'll need a Flash module and an X10 door chime, but what kinda of door bell do you need? Can you just buy a door bell (without a chime) and hook it up somehow?

Thanks.

snx
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Just wire the bell push to the contacts on the powerflash module. Set it to mode 3 and input B. That should be it. Then set up the house and unit code to the same as the chime module.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Otto-Mate
      Founder
      • Jan 2004

You could use a chime moduel like this...

activated by a hacked wireless keyfob or stickon switch too.

M.
      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
      www.twitter.com/ottomate
      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Marc
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2004

I've got an X10 dorbell at my house.

A normal dorbell button, the two wires go into a Powerflash Module. I then have an X10 Chime module that I can plug in wherever I like. This works like a charm.

You can have as many chime modules as you like and if you have Homeseer you can also do all sorts of other things. For example at my house we have CCTV fed to every TV. When the doorbell is pushed, the chime module sounds, and then Homeseer switches the CCTV feed to the front door.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Thats a good idea. Does it automatically switch the TV to the correct station or video channel. Or do you have to switch the TV over to the CCTV channel.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Marc
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            Thats a good idea. Does it automatically switch the TV to the correct station or video channel. Or do you have to switch the TV over to the CCTV channel.
            Hi Toscal,

Funny enough, it used to. I had it change the CCTV to the front door, then pause Sky+, then switch the TV to the CCTV Channel. Eventually though we found it annoying so I changed it so that it just changes the CCTV and we can turn over the TV if we so desire. The CCTV that I use (geovision) is set to a default 8 camera screen, so when the doorbell rings it switches it to a 1 feed screen (the front door) for about 30 seconds, then switches back to the 8 screen view.

then all you need to do, if you want to check who is there.. simple press 1 button on the TV remote and it switches to the CCTV channel.

Works very nicely

Comment

• sonix
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • May 2006

Thanks Marc,
              That's pretty much exactly what I want to do, how much do you think it would cost to implement a simple one-camera solution with geovision?

Would I need to run a cable from the Camera to my PC, if so what would be a good wireless alternative?

snx.

Comment

• Marc
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by sonix View Post
                Thanks Marc,
                That's pretty much exactly what I want to do, how much do you think it would cost to implement a simple one-camera solution with geovision?

Would I need to run a cable from the Camera to my PC, if so what would be a good wireless alternative?

snx.
                It depends on what you already have. Do you already have a Geovision card ? How about Homeseer ? If not, it can get very expensive.

If you just want a 1 camera solution on your TV then you may be better of just buying a XCam2 or something and running it directly to a spare input on your TV. But be warned, wireless cameras have limited range and anyone with a receiver can view the feed. You could even but something like a Loftbox that would distribute it to all your TV's.

If you want to go the PC route as I did and you don't have anything in place already then your looking at several hundred pounds. The very basic Geovision cards don't have a TV output so you would have to buy the FPS card or a Geovision card that has a Composite out. You would then need controller software like Homeseer or Harmony. An IR interface, a TV modulator, a powerflash module, a camera.... it goes on and on. It's not cheap at all. I have been building my systems up for over 10 years so have not had a huge outlay.

My system comprises of...

Geovision GV-1120 8CAM card.
                Geovision IR interface.
                P4 Server with 500Gb HD for CCTV footage storage.
                P4 server running Homeseer, with various interfaces, X10, Z-Wave, xAP etc.
                5 Day/Night IR Cameras
                KAT5 Video Distribution (This pushes Sky, Mediabox and CCTV to the TV's)
                IR Distribution
                Various X10, Z-Wave kit
                Infinite Alarm system integrated with the X10 system.
                + tone of other stuff. It gives me a headache thinking about it all :\

The Infinite Alarm system is also very cool for the CCTV. Even when unarmed the sensors can be used to trigger CCTV focus changes. The Infinite alarm has an X10 interface. When a sensor detects something it can send an X10 command that Homeseer picks up. Homeseer then sends the command to the CCTV to switch to a camera in that zone. Once again that's a feature we no longer use as it can get damn annoying

Back on topic though, if you forget about the CCTV stuff, you can automate your doorbell for as little at £50 buy purchasing a Powerflash module and a X10 Chime

Comment

• sonix
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • May 2006

Hi Marc,

Thanks for all the info.. My needs have slightly changed, am now looking to set up a camera in the nursery as a baby monitor. I'm currently running homeseer 2.

I'm thinking of getting a decent IP Camera, but not sure how i can distribute the video signal to the three other TVs in the house.

I suppose I could get that Loft box, but I don't fancy runnign new cables and installing output boxes. I would much rather use my existing netowrk cabling.

Any thought?

Thanks.

snx.

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Instead of an IP camera why not get a normal one, which makes the video distribution easy and hook up a feed from it to an IP video server.
                    Cameras can be bought here www.kgbcameras.co.uk and the IP video server from here https://www.digidave.co.uk/product_i...03d7f05d62719d
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • May 2006

Hi Toscal,

Thanks for that, just one query, how would i get a video feed into the other TVs?

They do have xbox's with XBMC on them, but I would prefer some sort of direct input (e.g. via AV inpunts).

Thanks.

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

That depends. I take it you don´t have any kind of structured wiring setup.
                        Do all your tvs use the aerial socket. As you could set up a home channel system and tune the camera feed to a spare uhf channel and inject it into the aerial system.
                        As I´m not too sure on your setup but have a look at Maplin for this Programmable Universal Modulator part number VH89W .
                        And Screwfix do this www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=26301
                        Do not have a clue on the signal or build quality of these items, but I´m sure somebody here does.
                        Good luck.
                        Last edited by toscal; 24 April 2007, 10:53 PM.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X