• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffrhysjones
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2007

Advice on KAT5 system...

I am the proud owner of the new KAT5 MK3 - which was a real bonus as I ordered the Mk2 - and got Mk3 instead!

After a quick test - very impressed with the video quality with a simple test set up of DVR > KAT5TX > CAT5 CABLE > KAT5RX > TV

Now I need some help on how best to run this around the house.

I have consulted the diagrams on the KAT5 website - the apparent necessity for two CAT5 cables and the splitter for each RX for Multi Drop is not really what I want - so a system which is demonstrated on the website as 'Patch Panel with KAT5 AV Switcher'

But it's not really clear what this AV Switcher is. Is it a product? What would I need to buy to replicate this setup?

Just like in the diagram (at the bottom) I have two (to start with) Sat / DVR boxes as sources, and I want every KAT5RX round the house to be able to view either one of these. I also understand that I need a TX box for each RX box.

I see the two sources go into Scart I/O boxes - are these a special version produced by KAT5? Any requirements / recommendations for these?

So the source goes into the Scart I/O and then the Scart I/O goes to each transmitter. This then gets patch cabled and linked up with the CAT5 to a downstream KAT5RX.

So for a starter system - to pipe video from two sources to two different rooms in the house I would need to buy:

2 X KAT5TX
    2 X KAT5RX
    1 X Patch Panel
    1 X SCART I/O (generic?)
    Lots of CAT5

In this setup each of the rooms would just need 1 X CAT5 connector from the wall, as only one CAT5 cable goes to each KAT5RX.

Is this right? Or have I got it completely wrong!?

Cheers,

Jeff
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Hi Jeff,

The switcher shown in that schematic is still in the final stages of development in my workshop. The different coloured sections show the connectivity that it will have.

SCART I/O will be a SCART socket for the direct connection of a source that is colocated with the switcher eg a satellite receiver in the same rack.

The receivers shown will enable the switcher to receive signals from other AV sources located about the house if they are connected to a KAT5 TX.

All outputs from the switcher are via integral KAT5 transmitters to feed recievers located in the viewing rooms.

It will allow any source to be viewed in any room (or rooms) in any concievable combination. It will also route IR control signals.

Until the switcher is available the only way to implement what you require is to use a normal SCART switcher to select the source you require and then feed the output of your switcher into KAT5 TX >> CAT5 >> KAT5 RX>>TV.

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• jeffrhysjones
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2007

Aha - I suspected as much! The AV Switcher seems to me to be a truely awesome product. I had thought it would be a sort of 'modular' rack unit, into which you would 'plug' your KAT5TX / RX units into. But it seems it will be a fully integrated product, with built in multiple TX / RX units / boards?

...and you can send signal to it from a source elsewhere in the house - RX it in the switcher, and then TX from there to someplace else?!

I guess two obvious questions come to mind - how much and when!?

Cheers,

Jeff

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jeffrhysjones View Post
        ...and you can send signal to it from a source elsewhere in the house - RX it in the switcher, and then TX from there to someplace else?!
        I currently have Tivo, SkyDigital, SkyPlus and a Freeview box in the AV cabinet in the lounge which are directly connected to the main TV so that I dont upset the family too much whilst working on the switcher. These 4 sources are send over KAT5 transmitters to the switcher in the workshop.

In the workshop rack I have another two freeview boxes, a PC(tvout) and a DVD player. These are directly connected to the switcher.

The 8 outputs are fed to 4 small LCD screens above the workbench, one 15" TFT and one 14" CRT TV also on the workbench. The other two zones feed the kichen TV and the main bedroom TV. Once the software bugs are sorted all TVs in the house will be connected permanently to the switcher and will have access to all sources.

Wish I could figure out why my electricity bill is so high !!!!!!

I guess two obvious questions come to mind - how much and when!?
        Affordable.... and as soon as possible.
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
        X