Thread: Heating on whenever system is on

Automated Home Lurker

Default Heating on whenever system is on

Hello, My system is a gravity fed, with a drayton 3 pos valve and an ideal classic boiler. Whenever the hot water comes on the radiators are warming up too. The 3 way valve was replaced recently - within a few weeks - I have only noticed the problem now as it is getting warm outside. When I removed the actuator and checked the valve I found it moves easily. With the actuator in place, the indicator on the side of it points to hot water when only hot is selected. It moves/points to the mid position when water and heating are selected (and the stat is asking for heating) and it moves/points to the heating position when I switch to heating only. Could the valve have been fitted the wrong way around? Anyone have any ideas?

put your clock on heating only and if the pipes get warm to the cylinder and not to the heating then it's on the wrong way round,

did the system do this before the new valve?

is the house new to you?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Thanks for suggestions

I tried what you suggested but all pipes warmed up. The house is relatively new to me, it is the first summer I have spent in it.

I tried something else as well, with the actuator removed and the heating pump running, I moved the valve myself with a pair of pliers. It was free to move and when I moved it from one side to the other, there was a knock in the pipework as you would expect because of the blocking off of the flow of water in that direction.

I am thinking that it is a quality issue with the fit of the valve plug onto the valve seat. When the valve is in the hot water only position, I have to apply a little torque to the actuator to get it fitted properly - so I know that the actuator is holding the valve plug against the seat. It must just be leaking by all of the time.

Can you recommend a good quality replacement valve? And also, are there many different types of valve, ie spring return or motor return etc. Could I possibly have the wrong type fitted?

can you see how many wires are on the valve

Automated Home Lurker

Default valve wires

I checked the wires into the valve. There are 5 connections on the valve. There are 5 wires coming from the controller.

sorry Simonm but i'mguessing here

does you system have a cylinder stat

the reason i ask is

a guess that a 5 wire diverter will automaticaly spring back to hot water and let the boiler stat control the temp

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for your advice so far.

There is a cylinder stat set at 60ish degrees. Does this help?