• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chick
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2007

Mains Power On/Off Control

Hello All

New to the forum and have been trying to absorb as much information as possible. Great to see this forum here - its not just me who has a thing for HA! A question I cannot find an answer to is:

Is there a Cbus piece of kit for controlling mains power - e.g. power to TV/other media kit or a PC. You know, just any appliance plugged into it.

I just can't gleam a direct statement about this from the Clipsal/Cbus websites although they hint at 'appliance' control. In the CBus-Shop website there is even a picture of a wall power plug that looks like it is designed to do the job but no details!! That the is UST25B00 link here: http://www.cbus-shop.com/product_inf...1d939d1ae45212

Information/experience of getting/installing much appreciated!
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Welcome Chick

You can control lots of equipment using CBus Relay modules.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• CableTie
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2005

Ulti Range uses wireless technology allowing you to retro fit. I would imagine that the socket would allow you to wirelessly control a number of sockets.
      Link below

http://www.kendal-i.co.uk

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

I'm just reading my way into CBus, but am sure that one of the documents said that the sockets are just normal 13A outlets that match the look of the Ulti switches.

Comment

• chick
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2007

hmm.. i'm afraid your replies (greatly appreciated as they are) don't really fill me with hope. I find it quite bizarre that this is not more of a common question. Am i right in presuming that it would be possible to use something like the cbus relay modules - which are designed to work with lights - in a bespoke fashion for controlling other devices, but this would be a non standard and not recommended application of cbus hardware?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chick View Post
            Am i right in presuming that it would be possible to use something like the cbus relay modules - which are designed to work with lights - in a bespoke fashion for controlling other devices, but this would be a non standard and not recommended application of cbus hardware?
            Relays are what I advised above. They aren't designed for lights, that would be Dimmer modules (although relays may be used on some lights like Fluorescents etc). Using relays to control power is exactly the sort of thing they are designed to be used for.

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• chick
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Apr 2007

Thank fella, you'll have to forgive my ignorance!
              Right, the sander is coming, the sofas have arrived and my wife wants to start painting the walls that I keep saying i'm going to dig all these wire channels into. I need to get these HA elements bought and installed!!
              In terms of cbus i'm looking for:
              >Control of three wall lights and one ceiling light
              >5 Lamps that ideally are plugged in using the special 3 pronged plug which is connected to the cbus network (I don't necessarily have to control these independantly ie could just be turn all on/dim/off)
              >A wall mounted light switch to control these lights triggering preprogrammed lighting levels
              >A PIR/Light sensor that can trigger the lights
              >Ideally I would like at least one double power socket controlled via cbus
              >oh, and can cbus help me with propogating ir signals - this room will hold media devices that will need to be controlled from other rooms
              This will be one room of many controlled but i'm trialling this one first (so need to consider this in this install)
              What devices (product code would be helpful) do I need to buy to make the above a reality - i just get confused when i look at the clipsal and cbus websites.
              If someone can get me going that would be fantastic!
              C

Comment

• CBusShop
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2004

The three wall lights, ceiling light and the 5A lighting circuit may be controlled by either a single L5508D1A 8-Channel Dimmer (max 1A per channel) or two L5504D2A 4-Channel Dimmer (max 2A per channel). If higher current is required, there is the L5104D5 4-Channel Dimmer (max 5A per channel) with higher still current units available.

Any of the following C-Bus switch should be fine - DLT (eg. E5084DL680), Saturn (eg. E5086NL680), Neo (eg. E5058NLGB), Reflection (eg. R5068NL). The prefix E on switches denotes suitability for UK size backbox.

Indoor PIR/light sensor could be the 5753PEIRL which is ceiling-mounted with a 360 degree detection zone.

A standard UK double 3-pin mains socket (eg. UST25B00) may be controlled by a single channel on a L5504RVF 4-Channel Relay (max 10A per channel).

IR distribution is best left to IR distribution equipment. eg. Zantech or Buffalo.
                Kwong Li
                Laser Business Systems Ltd.
                http://www.laser.com
                http://www.cbus-shop.com

Comment

Working...
                X