Thread: Kat5 Rgb & Spdif

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Kat5 Rgb & Spdif

I've followed the various threads about using SPDIF to add audio to the Kat5 phono RGB devices, but I confess I'm not entirely clear how this would physically work.

I'm looking to route HD video (satellite and DVD) with surround sound. From what I've read the phono RGBS modules, using SPDIF for sudio, look like the best quality option available to me.

As I understand it, the SPDIF signal is overlayed onto one of the colour signals (R, G or B). However I'm unclear how it gets onto and off that signal (i.e. what connectors do I need to connect the SPDIF input/output on my display or source to the Kat5 TX/RX modules and do I need any box of tricks to overlay the signal - or does it normally come out of / into the source/display devices already overlayed).

Also (and I'm betraying my lack of knowledge of the A/V state of the art here) would I route the SPDIF signal from the Kat5 RX to the display device (are they readily available with SPDIF in?) and then out to the sound amp, or direct to the sound amp?

Many thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel

I notice you say "HD Video" so I assume you means Component (Y-Cr-Cb) rather than RGB (RGBs) as output from a SCART socket.

Sending SPDIF is only possible when used for Component as with RGB all 4 circuits are already in use.

The RGBS modules can be used in two ways....

1. to carry the four Red, Green, Blue and Sync signals that make up a cunsumer RGB (RGBS) signal as output by a set top box

2. To carry the three Y-Cr-Cb video signals that make up a component video feed. Typically the three leads are coloured Red,Green,Blue which is what confuses people a bit!

If used in the second mode, use the Red,Green and Blue sockets to carry the Component video signals. The Yellow phono socket normally used for the Sync of an RGB signal will be spare.

Connect your SPDIF signal to this and at the distant end connect this to the coax in of your AV amp.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Kat5 Rgb & Spdif

Thanks for prompt response.

Looks like the RGBS module in component mode is what I need.

Nigel

Automated Home Jr Member

As a follow-up to this. I don't yet have a Sky HD box but from the reviews I've seen it only has optical SPDIF out, not phono. Does that mean there is no way of getting a digital audio signal via Kat5 RGB when used in component mode?

What are my best options using the available Sky HD outputs? Is there an alternative non-digital output I can pump through the "spare" Kat5 phono (i.e. the 4th one not being used for component video) that will still give me surround sound, or is there such a thing as an affordable optical to phono SPDIF converter, or do I have to compromise on the video quality and go with the standard Scart-based Kat5 boxes?

Thanks for any advice

Nigel

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry, answered my own question. Maplin do a convertor:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPa...sp?ModNo=29293

Anyone know if it is any good, or is there an inherent quality degradation?

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nakbrooks View Post
    is there such a thing as an affordable optical to phono SPDIF converter
    Yup

http://tinyurl.com/yrqprz

M.