• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daffydwal
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2007

Newbie on a mission

Hello world!

I need to build a system that is computer controlled, switching about 6 mains appliances on and off (no dimming necessary). It needs to be able to run to a pre-programmed script on its own to a pretty accurate schedule.

It's a pretty unique project that im keeping a bit hush hush, in case someone else gets in there first... pinching my idea.

I'm totally new to all this stuff, so if anyone could come up with any ideas to help me out it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Daveo
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The two items I can think of are the Ocelot controller www.appdig.com/adicon_new/index.htm
    The other one is the Homevision controller www.csi3.com
    The Ocelot is a lot cheaper, but its programming language is based on a ladder logic design. So the program continuously loops through. It can also be hard to get to grips with the programming, due to the quirky nature of the way ladder logic systems work. There are also quite a few add ons for the Ocelot.
    The Homevision is much easier to program, and easier to debug. I've spent days trying to debug ocelot files. And already has built in digital I/O ports and relay driver outputs. There is also a Pro version which has more things built in.
    Both do similar things and having used both I prefer the Homevision. Both have very good forums, but customer support for the Homevision is excellent.
    My own Homevision has run without to many problems for over 2 years. All the problems have been due to finger trouble during programming or changing a parameter that I shouldn't have.
    Something else to look at is Homeseer at www.homeseer.com
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X