Thread: Modtronix Ethernet -> (RS232 / RS485 / CAN) convertors

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Modtronix Ethernet -> (RS232 / RS485 / CAN) convertors

Wotchamates,

Modtronix have released an updated version of their PIC ethernet board, the SBC45. It has some slight mods to allow easier serial interfacing. Board is 10Mbps ethernet (Realtek), PIC18F452 mpu, 24LC256 EEPROM (32 kbytes).

In addition, they have a couple of new front-end boards to interface the SBC45 to either RS-485 or CANbus networks, as well as the old serial one.

Pricing in USD and (GBP) is as follows:

SBC45 55 (29.38 )
    BUS2-485 9.95 (5.31)
    BUS2-CAN 9.95 (5.31)
    SER2S 8.50 (4.54)

They've offered us 20% discount on anything ordered in quantities >5, which would be:

SBC45 44 (23.50)
    BUS2-485 7.95 (4.25)
    BUS2-CAN 7.95 (4.25)
    SER2S 6.80 (3.63)

Postage will prolly work out at about a tenner. I've done a modtronix BB before, and they were extremely prompt and reliable. The SBC45 design incorporates some feedback from our last BB

*PLEASE NOTE* that these devices are not plug and play ethernet->serial convertors: they require some programming / PIC knowledge to use, and thus this offer is intended for developers.

Full details of the above boards (plus misc other stuff) at http://www.modtronix.com/

cheers

ant

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: Modtronix Ethernet -> (RS232 / RS485 / CAN) convertor

Forgot to mention that these boards have ESD protection, can be programmed in-circuit, and have about 14 free IO lines (IIRC), including some analogue ones.

The TCP/IP stack & webserver are based on free code from Microchip, & with the supplied firmware the webpages can be uploaded via serial port without reprogramming the PIC.

cheers

ant

Automated Home Lurker

What did you think of these, Ant?
    Care to give us a mini review?

Max

They're cracking little boards, and Dave @ modtronix is a very helpful guy. There'll soon be another rev. of these boards incorporating feedback from UKHAers, including power over ethernet. So I'll probably be doing another bulk buy soon

Bit difficult to review on their own, as they're kinda uber-techie. However, I'm building an in wall HA controller, after reading the Zanware controller review and applying Ant's Law of Home Automation ( "How much?!!!!! I'll build it myself!") I plan to write that up for the site.

cheers

ant

Automated Home Lurker

I'm looking to pick up a bit of pic programming, with as little electronics work as possible. These look like the ideal thing to play with in the long term.

Anyone got anything xAP enabled on one yet?

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Ant
    Is it possible to program them in assembly ??? Also how are you reprogramming them..???They seem reasonbly priced....would be interested if i could proogram in asm......

Frank

Automated Home Lurker

They're in-circuit programmable. Either ZIF adaptor http://www.modtronix.com/product_inf...products_id=76 or direct to ICD 2 http://www.modtronix.com/product_inf...products_id=76. The web server is uploaded over serial.

Can't see any reason why they can't be programmed in assembly.

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Ant / Max
    Whats involved with these things to be able to control the i/os on them..???Probably didnt word that correctly , what im trying to say "is all the hard work (ethernet coding) already done ?? or is it start from scratch ....???.......Just ordered the mplab icd 2 fom them didnt realise they are in Brisbane Oz ;-)......As mentioned before if able to code in asm i would be interested...
    Frank

Automated Home Lurker

Ant, is there any way around using an expensive c compiler for the webpages?

you can do lots of things without doing any compiling at all. for most webpage based things (look at the status of some or all of the inputs on a webpage, have a formthat allows you to turn something or several things on or off, etc) you can just write pages tat are pretty close to basic HTML and run them through a free formatter to get them to fit properly in the PIC's memory. You'll need to compile only if you want to do something more complicated. Some examples of things you can (I've read) get the devices to do with programming are: SNMP monitoring of the device (snmp source code is available for free, The ability to send email straight from the unit (I think there is free source for this too), Math (converting analog values from the voltages read off the port into their real world values (temperature, flow rate, whatever). sorry about the long rambling post, I just got some of these and I've stayed up far too late playing. :)