• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • col182
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2007

Z Wave Puzzle

Hiya Guys this is my first post and im very new to the automation scene.

I have just purchaced my first house and it is getting a full re-wire as it's not quite up to my requiremnts. I am interested in installing some Z Wave gear so im just after a bit of advice if anyone can help me.

Appliance's seem to be easy with the plug in modules it's just I am wanting to control all of my home lighting thru Z Wave so would i be right in saying all i will need to do is install

ZDW230's in the bedrooms where i just want to dim one light
    ZDM230's at the top and bottom of the stairs where i want to control 2 lights from 2 different locations.
    Maybe ZDM230's in the living room to control wall lights and ceiling lights

And a ZTH200 to link them all together.

Does anyone have any UK wiring diagrams or photo of the backs just so my electrician can cast an eye over them?

Thanks for any help
    Col
  • Jimll
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2006

I think you just about have it. The only thing I would say is that I think that each of the Zwave switches require a neutral wire at the switch. So if you want z-wave then you will have to consider this in your rewiring.
    James Clabon

Comment

• sonix
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2006

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread but are these UK wall switches and if so where are they available?

snx.

Comment

• col182
        Automated Home Lurker
        • May 2007

Cheers Jimll im gonna order some now. I am going to have to order them from the US i think somewhere like http://www.basshome.com/zwave_1721_ctg_4.htm if that helps you sonix. Does anyone know how long they will take?

Cheers Col

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Have you tried looking here http://www.automatedoutlet.com/searc...=search&page=3
          They might also be able to order the items if they are not in stock. Martin Custer is normally quite helpful and responds quite quickly to emails. Some of there stuff is cheaper than anyone else in th US. Never actually bought from them, though.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• col182
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2007

Cheers Toscal. Can somebody tell me what the relay revcievers do?

Comment

• Jimll
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by col182 View Post
              Cheers Toscal. Can somebody tell me what the relay revcievers do?
              Have you got a link?
              James Clabon

Comment

• col182
                Automated Home Lurker
                • May 2007

It's on page 6 the ZDW230 and ZDM230

Do you think that would be the one to contol an outside light or anything that can be turned on or off. kinda like an appliance module.

Col

Comment

• sonix
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • May 2006

Thanks for the link col182,

Though I assume all of these switchs need a neutral connection which i dont have, but keep us updated on your progress in buying and installing these.

Thanks.

snx

Comment

• mlansell
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sonix View Post
                    Thanks for the link col182,

Though I assume all of these switchs need a neutral connection which i dont have, but keep us updated on your progress in buying and installing these.

Thanks.

snx
                    I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think any of the UK/Euro spec wall switches/dimmers are available. A couple of US sites list them, but then they list the entire ACT range and I doubt very much that they have any stock.

I've pretty much given up on Z-Wave - it's just been a series of empty promises from day one.

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

You may want to contact Act Solutions direct. I've bought some of their X10 stuff (a couple of TC284s and a powerline tester) direct from them for my house. Technically as some of it is not CE approved I can't install it in other peoples houses or mine actually for that matter. So there could be a part P issue for you guys in the UK. Something to think about there, I guess.
                      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toshtiger
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jul 2007

re: z-wave

Hi all,

Z-wave seems to be a great technology for home automation, filling in the big holes that x10 does'nt and cannot do ie feedback from sensors etc, after all x10 was first used over 30 years ago. But what I don't understand is, if there's so many companies developing the technology where are all the modules, there seems to be alot of false promises reguarding the technology....

Tosh UK

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Nov 2007

Has there been any movement in the Z-wave scene regarding UK products? I'm also planning quite large automation project and need some more reassurance regarding the z-wave technology. All the stuff I have read seems like it may just do the trick but I can't find a complete list of UK parts anywhere.
                          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

Working...
                          X