Thread: IR not working...

Automated Home Lurker

Question IR not working...

it's probably something I'm not doing but I seem to have a problem with the simple KAT5 setup I have.

I have a transmitter connected to my Sky+ set via s-video, from the tx to a patch panel and then patched onto the rx which is straight composite to the TV. Picture is perfect, sound too but I cant seem to get the IR to work.

Both IR dongles are plugged in an seem to be receiving / sending fine but nothing happens, I'm using a SKY+ remote upstairs to hopefully change the channel downstairs on the SKY+ box.

Could it be something to do with the frequency of the remote? or maybe a problem with the Cat5e cabling? (although I get picture/sound and the cables on a tester test OK).

Any thoughts.

Stu

Hi Stu,

Which model of SKY+ box have you got ?

All SKY receivers use the same type of IR codes, Phillips RC6A and should work with no problems but some SKY boxes seem to have very sensitive IR receivers that find the output of KAT5 too strong. Try moving the IR emitter away from the front panel and holding it at a distance of between 2 and 6 inches from the panel to see if thay makes any difference.

Also where have you got it positioned on the fascia ?

I have a Thomson SKY+ and it seemed to work just about anywhere on the front panel !!

If you need to contact me directly its

keith at kat5 dot tv

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Post Will test this...

Thanks Keith.

I'll test it later tonight further away from the SKY+ box. Currently is stuck to the facia covering the little red "remote" light that comes on when you use the remove.

The model of SKY+ box I have is an Amstrad DCRX280?

Looking at the little IT dongle from the tx box the red neon in there is flashing most of the time, is that right?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by scrump View Post
    Thanks Keith.

I'll test it later tonight further away from the SKY+ box. Currently is stuck to the facia covering the little red "remote" light that comes on when you use the remove.

The model of SKY+ box I have is an Amstrad DCRX280?
    Havent seen one of those but I would be very surpried if the IR sensor was in the same position as the feedback LED.

OK, found a picture on the Amstrad site and it looks the same as my Thomson box. I have marked the approximate position of where my IR emitter is stuck with a blue cross.

Looking at the little IT dongle from the tx box the red neon in there is flashing most of the time, is that right?
    No. The only time it would flicker all the time is when the blue LED on the remote receiver is flickering. If the blue LED is also flickering then something is being interpreted as constant IR, could be a remote stuffed down the sofa or a compact flourescent lamp or possibly even a plasma/lcd screen but I would be surprised if it were the latter two. The receiver do detect some signals from flourescent lamps but then desensitise themselves slightly and stop flickering.

If the Blue LED isnt flickering then there may be a problem with your CAT5 wiring which is causing audio to trigger the IR circuitry.

Disconnect the CAT5 cable from the AVRX and see if the flickering stops.

Disconnect the CAT5 cable from the AVTX and see if the flickering stops.

Disconnect the Audio from the SKY box and see if it stops flickering.

Hope that helps

Keith

Automated Home Lurker

Thumbs up Were cooking now...

Thanks Keith it seems to be working now, my fault as I stupidly thought that the red LED on the SKY+ box was the actually receiver (should have known!).

Mine is actually just to the right of your blue X, you can see a slight darker spot just to the right of the buttons.

Anyhow, thanks for the help - and thanks for a good product - we'll worth the money.

As so the flashing LED I'm sure it is something in the room doing this - I'll sort it eventually.

Cheers,

Stu

Glad you got it sorted.