• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abb
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2007

Motorised / Solenoid Radiator Valves

hi

does anyone know of any motorised or solenoid operated radiator valve that do NOT require a battery and can be run from mains (preferable) or 12-24VDC?

i am far from an expert, but i have seen something described as 2 port actuators, will these do?

i would like to remote control every (conventional) radiator... i do not want underfloor heating.

any ideas or pointers very much appreciated.

thanks!
  • dazzlevw
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2006

Two spring to mind off the top of my head,
    Idratek do the rva-001, which is a motorised replacement head for a standard trv body, runs off 24vDC, see here.

Second I'm sure honeywll do one as part of one of their smart systems, I can't find a link at the minute.

***EDIT***

Honeywell's CM zone system employs HR80 actuators which fit on the trv body, all monitored by the CM67z programmer. This give up to two zones, independantly controlled.

***EDIT OVER***

You could use standard two port valves, along with a thermostat per room and some creative wiring, although I suspect this would be an expensive and over-complicated route.

good luck with whatever you find.

Daz
    Last edited by dazzlevw; 20 June 2007, 09:02 AM. Reason: added more info
    -----------------------------
    www.darrenwright.me.uk
    www.gbpvr.com
    www.slimdevices.com

Comment

• abb
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2007

thanks for the reply Daz.

i have seen the honeywell system, but their website never seems to work properly. i did notice that their TRV replacements are battery powered, and i definitely do not want this.

i checked out the idratek valves and they are £30 a pop!

i like the idea of 2 port valves, as i can pick these up for around £5 each at sunday markets. has someone used these before? i cannot see any reason why they cannot be used, but this is my first automation project.

any advice much appreciated!

thanks again for the help Daz.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

You may also want to have a look at the Heatmiser valves http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/Heatm...e-p-16203.html
        They are about 35 pounds each.
        How are you going to do the actual control side of the project.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• abb
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jun 2007

toscal, thanks for the link to heatmiser. nice to see there are a few products out there!

however, i can get honeywell or sunvic 2-port actuators from sunday markets for around £5 each, so hopefully i can use these.

i am undecided yet on control details, but i am about to strip a 3/4 bed terrace to bare walls, so wanted to put infrastructure in.

i want to use solid state relays near each rad and want to be able to control them from a wall switch, as well as node0. i am running miles of cat5 and cat throughout the house, so i may as put an extra cat5 to the relays (probable glue to the back of some blanking plate. i have 10 rads in total, so no big deal.

i have spent weeks looking at the various off-the-shelf systems for home control, but i have not seen anything i am quite happy. i am going to make light switched from momentary pushbuttons put into blanking plates. that way i can have switched for the dimmers and rads on one plate.

so far i have liked the open-source misterhouse project http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/ and i would like everything to be able to run from that.

i expect there will be a bit of basic homebrew electronics including some PIC programming, so i have probably bitten off more than i can chew!

i have decided not to go for anything powerline based, as i am suspicious of reliability. moreover, UPB and insteon gear is pretty sparse for the UK and damned pricey.

i figure i can run pretty much any data bus over cat5, so that is why i am flooding the house in it.
          Last edited by abb; 20 June 2007, 02:50 PM. Reason: missed a point

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

For the controller side of things take a look at the Homevision system. Being stand alone, apart from when programming it. As it can run on its own it doesn't suffer from OS based crashes mine has been running for over 3 years almost non stop, it was powered down to upgrade the eprom to the latest version. This was supplied free of charge. Go to www.csi3.com for details.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X