• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeremy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2007

Low Profile Automation Hardware

I'll be rewiring my home pretty soon to upgrade it to 3 prong power plugs and probably integrate a home automation system as part of the process. I want a system the can communicate both directions digitally and have a low profile. I don't want big X10 modules sticking out of the wall. The solution should be slick and as invisible as possible. I can run extra wires to each room for this system. Are there any good solutions out there like this?

Idealy it would be affordable and perhaps even open source. )

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Dream on.....

You can have affordable (X10) or slick (www.CBus.com) but both?

Of course it depends on what your idea of "affordable" is.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• jeremy
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2007

Cool. By affordable I mean something that will not cost hundreds or thousands of dollars in hardware. I could probably afford $20 per module and I already have a PC I could use as the master. These modules will also need to allow 2 way communication and customizable. At some point I would like to setup a speech recognition systems and video survelence.

It would be great if there was an open source project out there designed like this where I could just build the hardware myself. But in the interest of time and convenience I would pay for a system that is this flexible.

My original thought was to mount a serial plug to the wall in each room and have simple PIC or Atmel driven modules that would plug into them. Some of the modules would actually be behind the wall and hidden from view. Before re-indeventing the wheel I wanted to know what else is out there.

Can you have two-way, communication with X10? What other good interfaces and systems are out there -- without spending $1,000. Are there any systems that work off a LAN?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Homeseer springs to as regards software. www.homeseer.com
        X10 can have 2way comms but the modules are slightly more expensive.
        You might want to have a look at UPB this is a powerline based system like X10. Try here www.automatedoutlet.com and do a search for UPB.
        Light switches retail for about 60 dollars.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X