Digital Radio that can also play MP3's on my network ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffwright
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2007

Digital Radio that can also play MP3's on my network ..

Hi All,

Basically I'm looking for a nice way of allowing the Mrs to listen to the (DAB) Radio, play CD's and also playback our MP3 collection stored in a server under my stairs in her dressing room upstairs.

I've tried to find a standalone Radio / CD player that can (either wirelessly or wired) playback mp3's but have drawn a blank ..

Squeezebox solutions seem OK but doesn't offer a standalone FM Radio - only Internet radio ...

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

C
    www.clifford-wright.co.uk/blog
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The only systems I have seem can only play internet radio and MP3s such as the Squeezebox.
    Have a look here they might be able to supply what you need www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• cliffwright
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      The only systems I have seem can only play internet radio and MP3s such as the Squeezebox.
      Have a look here they might be able to supply what you need www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/
      Yeah that's been my experience too although I can't believe nobody makes a device with this combination of features ...

For the WAF (wife acceptance factor) I need it to be as easy to use the radio as her trusty old DAB thing is now, but for me I want the networking features too - all wall mounted and either remote or touchscreen operated ...

Hmmm ...

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Cliff,

There's this, the Philips Streamium MCi250 CD/MP3/WIFI:

Which says:
        • 50-watts-per-channel microsystem with CD, AM/FM radio, and Internet radio playback and wOOx Technology for deep bass
        • Plays CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 and mp3-PRO CDs, offers Wi-Fi compatibility for wireless streaming music from your PC or the Internet
        • Connect to multiple online music services, thousands of Internet music channels, hundreds of musical genres, personalized radio stations
        • PC Link lets you listen to all the MP3 and mp3-PRO music files on your PC
        • Upgradeable; easily access and manage your favorite songs via My.Philips.com
        There's one on ebay right now (Item number: 140134288807 and I've no connection to the seller) but it doesn't exactly get a glowing report, and it appears it's been discontinued by Philips...

Not sure that helps, but it may give another avenue to explore

Cheers,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• dazzlevw
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2006

Cliff,
          You NEED a squeezebox(only so I can come round and play with it as I can't afford one!).Actually you need a slim devices transporter...now that IS a piece of kit....
          Most DAB seems also to be broadcast over IP (have a look at www.radiofeeds.co.uk), just what came up on google.....christ, even trent FM is on the list!!!. Squeezebox is great, the slimserver software is great.....can't wait until I can dig out my SliMp3 again.....
          -----------------------------
          www.darrenwright.me.uk
          www.gbpvr.com
          www.slimdevices.com

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

One of the Spanish audio/ video mags I buy has an article on Multiroom audio.
            The Philips WACS7000 came out as the best overall. This has a Cd player and also a built in 80GB hard disc. https://www.consumer.philips.com/con...05_GB_CONSUMER

2nd was the Yamaha Music Cast System www.yamaha.com/yec/products/musiccast/index.htm

3rd Pioneer MT-01 This uses a powerline communication system to transmit the sound.

4th was the Sonos system. www.sonos.com

5th which seems to fit more with what your are after is the Pinnacle SoundBridge Radio www.pinnaclesys.com
            Hope this helps
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• noel-pilot
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • May 2005

how about a magic box!? I have the IMP which is the stand alone version again doesn't do FM but I'd be surprised if there's any fm or DAB stations that you can't find on it?!

For wall mounting you'd need a little shelf, or get the other more hifi version which you'd need an amp and speakers for?!

gets my vote, very very good, and easy as anything to use!

Comment

• cliffwright
                Automated Home Guru
                • Mar 2007

Tim H .. I think you're right .. they're discontinuing this in favour of their WAS7000 series ... (Which I don't particularly like because mp3's have to be stored locally rather than being networked ..)

One of the Spanish audio/ video mags I buy has an article on Multiroom audio.
                The Philips WACS7000 came out as the best overall. This has a Cd player and also a built in 80GB hard disc. https://www.consumer.philips.com/con...05_GB_CONSUMER
                As above, I'm not keen on the makeup of this and it's far bigger in size than I'd like stuck to my wall ... not a bad effort by Phillips but could do with going on a diet

2nd was the Yamaha Music Cast System www.yamaha.com/yec/products/musiccast/index.htm

3rd Pioneer MT-01 This uses a powerline communication system to transmit the sound.

Not really seen these ... will take a look at them

4th was the Sonos system. www.sonos.com
                Now this I've seen and Like already ... but it doesn't do a whole heap more than a squeezebox does and is many times the price ... nice though ..

5th which seems to fit more with what your are after is the Pinnacle SoundBridge Radio www.pinnaclesys.com
                Hope this helps
                Pretty much a squeezebox I guess but a tad cheaper ...

Originally posted by dazzlevw
                You NEED a squeezebox ... have a look at www.radiofeeds.co.uk ..
                Think I'm inclined to agree ... I've been playing with soft-squeeze and it seems great (apart from I can't figure out how to save radio streams purely in the software yet?!) ... I reckon I could custom mount an S3 on / in our stud wall in the dressing room too, plus I could buy additional units down the line for the dining room, conservatory etc etc ...

... Trouble is I'm going to want to build a dedicated server rather than add more strain to the MCE machine (Which I want to upgrade anyhow ..)

Hmm ... Ya think I can get away with putting computer / Audio parts on my wedding list?

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

The good thing with the Sonos is that you could connect a normal DAB radio to it and stream it to any other Sonos module. In fact you could connect any stereo audio source.
                  Also the remote is splash proof.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• noel-pilot
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • May 2005

aldi have a reciva powered wifi radio on offer from tomorrow 64.99, looks a bit poor but features seem very good, even has a FM radio in there as well!!

Comment

Working...
                    X