Thread: Better Heating Control

Automated Home Jr Member NWootton's Avatar

Default Better Heating Control

Although the heating system in my house is adequate (Bosch gas fired condensing boiler & immersion tank installed approximately 5 years ago by the previous owner), it does lack a basic level of control given the size of the property.

It consists of the typical simple thermostat located in the downstairs hallway linked to a mechanical timer (2 on-off time periods controlling hot water or hot water & heating) in the airing cupboard.

I am looking to update the current system with something that gives me a much greater level of flexibility. The ability to turn down radiators in unused rooms, better control over the temperature in individual rooms.

As I've just finished decorating, the system also needs to be very very low impact to install - the wife hasn't forgiven me for the voice/data/video network install yet!

I've seen the Honeywell Hometronic system (a bit too expensive) and the Honeywell CM system, but I'm interested to see if there are any other options available. Does anyone know if you can upgrade from the CM to the Hometronic - the radiator valves look exactly the same!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I believe you can upgrade from CM to Hometronic, but isn't the hometronic system a bit too expensive? Never been able to find the price, which worries me enough not to bother asking how much!

My plan is to add several room controllers to my new CM zone system, Honeywell have confirmed that you can run at least 3, which will give 6 zone heating, which is fine for me. There may be a limit of 4 room controllers but that would give 8 zones, plus controllers handily close to the rooms you're controlling. Each room controller can have loads of radiator controllers linked to it

Basic pricing I saw last week for Hometronic was arround £3000 + Vat for a 16 zone system

I thought it was good value for money considering it could be a dry swap for your thermostatic radiator valves.
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I believe you can upgrade from CM to Hometronic, but isn't the hometronic system a bit too expensive? Never been able to find the price, which worries me enough not to bother asking how much!

My plan is to add several room controllers to my new CM zone system, Honeywell have confirmed that you can run at least 3, which will give 6 zone heating, which is fine for me. There may be a limit of 4 room controllers but that would give 8 zones, plus controllers handily close to the rooms you're controlling. Each room controller can have loads of radiator controllers linked to it
    If you are also using the Boiler Relay module then this can only be registered to 4 devices - CM zone controllers, Underfloor controllers or Hometronic Managers. So using CM zone you can have upto 8 zones, but it the cost is anywhere near £500 then you might be better off looking at Hometronic as the Manager module is £500 plus VAT and offers control of upto 16 zones plus an additional 32 zones of time-only (e.g. hot water) control.

Sorry,what is the hometronic manager module? Is it a subset of the £3000 system? And if so then what else is needed to make it all work?

I always feel wary when there aren't published prices and system details.

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Sorry,what is the hometronic manager module? Is it a subset of the £3000 system? And if so then what else is needed to make it all work?

I always feel wary when there aren't published prices and system details.
    Yes, the Manager is included in the system price, the remainder being made up of the Boiler Relay, Hot Water Relay & Radiator Actuators. If you want to talk about pricing in detail then give Sensible Heat a call, see the website for details www.sensibleheat.co.uk - there is a full brochure and price guide available in PDF form by request.

You can also get information from www.hometronic.com

This website is owned and maintained by Honeywell although it has not been updaed for a while so the radiator controllers & manifold controllers have since been replaced with new modules while the Boiler Relay is not even mentioned. It also gives you access to the R4 manual which gives a bit more technical info.
    Last edited by NeilUK; 10th August 2007 at 08:44 PM.

thermostic rad valves

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Go for the CM zone + HR80 rad valves

you won't find anything better than the Honeywell CM zone

no wiring on rads replace your timeclock with the receiver

it has 2 zones + if you buy another programmer you can additional zones

6 time / temp settings per day

if you decide to expand at a later stage easy to migrate to Hometronic.

the HR80's will optimum start the radiators depending on room temp

if any rad calls for heating your boiler will be enabled

all the rads have frost settings so heating will be enabled on low temp

it really is understated