• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsample
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2008

Status update?

I presume from the lack of activity that Z-Wave is still pretty dead in the UK? I was looking at the different standards and from what I could see, Z-Wave looked like it had the best features for retro-fitting.

If Z-Wave is dead in the UK, what's the best alternative?

Comment

• Bomber1965
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dsample View Post
      I presume from the lack of activity that Z-Wave is still pretty dead in the UK? I was looking at the different standards and from what I could see, Z-Wave looked like it had the best features for retro-fitting.

If Z-Wave is dead in the UK, what's the best alternative?
      Dont think its dead far from it

Comment

• dsample
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bomber1965 View Post
        Dont think its dead far from it
        What do you know that everyone else doesn't? As far as I've seen from the discussion group and from the threads here lead me to think it'll never really come to the UK properly.

Comment

• Bomber1965
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2008

What do you know that everyone else doesn't? As far as I've seen from the discussion group and from the threads here lead me to think it'll never really come to the UK properly.
          As a relativly new technology it will take time to catch on.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

If you look at the majority of Home automation technology Europe seems to lag in getting the new stuff. Z-wave is available from a couple of sources in Europe, but with European sockets for the plug in stuff (some do do UK style). But not all modules are available from one shop so you have to shop around. No one stop shop.
            If you look at x10 it was originally developed in Scotland, and first sold in the US in the 70's. Then came back across the pond to be sold in Europe. And its only in the last 5 years that Europe is seeing similar X10 modules, almost as soon, as those in the US and we are now seeing modules that are not available in the US. But look how long that situation has taken over 30 years.
            Another example is UPB European versions are available but not a lot.
            The problem is that there are just too many systems and protocols etc out there, and some while looking very good will fall by the wayside. Remember Betamax tapes and HD DVD. So, many stores will be reluctant to invest in a new technology that may be surpassed by something else or that their market will be a small one.
            At the end of the day it boils down to economics. If the modules are cheap then they will be popular to the masses. And cheap for a shop to stock and sell.

Anyway here is a link for quite a wide range of Z-wave stuff http://www.zwave4u.com/en?XTCsid=3e0...ebb70a34067ff3
            Last edited by toscal; 2 December 2008, 06:07 PM.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Geeba
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2009

I must admit, we have become UK resellers of Lagotek equipment, but without true UK spec kit, its pretty much a non starter. We're talking to a UK manufacturer at the moment but we have nothing definate as yet... really frustrating.

Comment

• dsample
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Geeba View Post
                I must admit, we have become UK resellers of Lagotek equipment, but without true UK spec kit, its pretty much a non starter. We're talking to a UK manufacturer at the moment but we have nothing definate as yet... really frustrating.
                You definitely sound like someone to keep in touch with Mind saying who you are so we can start drumming up interest?

I just want to have a choice for in-built wall sockets and maybe a bit more of a choice of wall switches. Even just having the universal modules like 3-in-1 temperature, motion, light sensors would be a start. The Letsautomate.com range is a bit dated.

Comment

• Geeba
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2009

You definitely sound like someone to keep in touch with Mind saying who you are so we can start drumming up interest?

I just want to have a choice for in-built wall sockets and maybe a bit more of a choice of wall switches. Even just having the universal modules like 3-in-1 temperature, motion, light sensors would be a start. The Letsautomate.com range is a bit dated.
                  Sorry for the extreemly slow reply... been really busy of late... Well we actually have a date with a UK manufacturer to see and try their line up!

I was starting to think this day would never come! I'll post back here with more info as its available.

It looks like we may have movement people!

Comment

• dsample
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Sep 2008

Sorry for the extreemly slow reply... been really busy of late... Well we actually have a date with a UK manufacturer to see and try their line up!

I was starting to think this day would never come! I'll post back here with more info as its available.

It looks like we may have movement people!
                    Brilliant! Let us know where we can get them, and if you want any 'friendly users' for testing

Comment

• Bomber1965
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Nov 2008

Any news on this ?

Comment

• Geeba
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Feb 2009

Tied to a NDA - which I have to obide by I'm afraid.... but does this give anything away --->

Comment

• Mr Man
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Sep 2009

Check out:

astral from MK

Comment

• Geeba
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2009

These are the ones I have been testing! They are FANTASTIC!

Comment

• dsample
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Sep 2008

These are the ones I have been testing! They are FANTASTIC!
                              They look nice, and I saw the the other thread about the prices, but couldn't quite get my head around their modular system of backs and facias, so how much are we talking for a basic 2-gang light-switch and a mains power-switch?

Also, that doesn't really help with the 'are they coming to the UK?' question, since I can't find anywhere that's actually selling UK-plug Merten/Duewi/MK Electric devices... is there an unofficial route to the companies to request 'trade' deals or something? I'm just a geek trying to fit out my own home.

Comment

Working...
                              X