Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they actually coming to the UK?

Those reasons, plus these are brand new, untested units. It takes some time to build up a relationship with suppliers I guess, I can understand the retailers point of view. Its all a bit chicken and egg at the minute.

M.

Default Zdw232

I have just received some 2 wire dimmers from act Zdw232 On first impressions are very good. I will update once I have had a play
    James Clabon

Thanks James, would love to publish a mini-review on AutomatedHome if you could email me a few paragraphs and some photos once you've had a play.

M,

No problem
    James Clabon

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate View Post
    Patrick - I gave Amy from Everspring the names of some HA companies in the UK but unfortunately none of them were interested in the 500 minimum order quantities.

M.
    In my mind this is not normal.
    Many companies I deal with either have a minimum amount like 1000 euros if you want trade discounts etc, or 100 pieces. But 500 pieces this seems quite a lot . This will certainly exclude a lot of the smaller companies from buying. And in my mind this will then limit where you can buy Z-wave products, which is not good. For z-wave to become a viable option more companies need to be selling it.

Automated Home Jr Member dsample's Avatar

Question Status update?

I presume from the lack of activity that Z-Wave is still pretty dead in the UK? I was looking at the different standards and from what I could see, Z-Wave looked like it had the best features for retro-fitting.

If Z-Wave is dead in the UK, what's the best alternative?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsample View Post
    I presume from the lack of activity that Z-Wave is still pretty dead in the UK? I was looking at the different standards and from what I could see, Z-Wave looked like it had the best features for retro-fitting.

If Z-Wave is dead in the UK, what's the best alternative?
    Dont think its dead far from it

Automated Home Jr Member dsample's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber1965 View Post
    Dont think its dead far from it
    What do you know that everyone else doesn't? As far as I've seen from the discussion group and from the threads here lead me to think it'll never really come to the UK properly.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsample View Post
    What do you know that everyone else doesn't? As far as I've seen from the discussion group and from the threads here lead me to think it'll never really come to the UK properly.
    As a relativly new technology it will take time to catch on.

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1273474

If you look at the majority of Home automation technology Europe seems to lag in getting the new stuff. Z-wave is available from a couple of sources in Europe, but with European sockets for the plug in stuff (some do do UK style). But not all modules are available from one shop so you have to shop around. No one stop shop.
    If you look at x10 it was originally developed in Scotland, and first sold in the US in the 70's. Then came back across the pond to be sold in Europe. And its only in the last 5 years that Europe is seeing similar X10 modules, almost as soon, as those in the US and we are now seeing modules that are not available in the US. But look how long that situation has taken over 30 years.
    Another example is UPB European versions are available but not a lot.
    The problem is that there are just too many systems and protocols etc out there, and some while looking very good will fall by the wayside. Remember Betamax tapes and HD DVD. So, many stores will be reluctant to invest in a new technology that may be surpassed by something else or that their market will be a small one.
    At the end of the day it boils down to economics. If the modules are cheap then they will be popular to the masses. And cheap for a shop to stock and sell.

Anyway here is a link for quite a wide range of Z-wave stuff http://www.zwave4u.com/en?XTCsid=3e0...ebb70a34067ff3
    Last edited by toscal; 2nd December 2008 at 06:07 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog