• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CWatters
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2006

ActiveHome won't talk to my CM11

Just got a CM11 and Activehome but I can't get Activehome to talk to the CM11. As soon as I set the COM port under preferences the system locks up with x10com32.exe taking 99% of the CPU.

I've tried it with the CM11 connected via serial and USB and both appear to do the same. Even tried it with Activehome running in Win95 compatibility mode with no luck.

Google says that one or two others have had same problem but I can't find a solution. Anyone?

Do other more modern control programs also use x10com32.exe?
  • CWatters
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2006

Humm well looks like it's just sorted itself out. (EDIT: or perhaps not...see below)

I'd restarted my PC for about the 4th time and this time ActiveHome seemed to choose the right COM port on it's own. Tested the comms using the tool and it worked. Can't see I did anything different this time. Oh well onwards and upwards ;-)
    Last edited by CWatters; 26 July 2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• CWatters
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2006

Well I thought it was working..

I can control a plug in appliance but ocasionally the comms with the CM11 stops working. For example I toggle the virtual switch ON then OFF and hear the relay click ON but NOT off. Toggle it again and nothing happens.

At first I thought it was a problem with the mains BUT if I test the comms with the CM11 that also fails. If I close ActiveHome and restart it all starts working again.

Overall I'm not very impressed with my intro to X10 so far.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

There are known problems with Activehome running with XP service pack 2.
        Have you tired running it in windows 2000 compatibility mode.
        This is how to do it:
        1. Right click the ActiveHome icon.
        2. Choose Properties.
        3. Select the tab Compatibility.
        4. Select “Execute this program in these compatibility modules:" and select Windows 2000 option.

Also what version of the software are you using Current version is 1.42 and should be used with the USB cable and not the serial one. You will need to load the drivers from the the CD that came with the cable to get it to work properly.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CWatters
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2006

Yes I've got ver 1.42 Rel 2 and the USB version of the cable. I'm still on SP1.

There wasn't a CD supplied with the cable. I downloaded all the S/W.

It seems to work most of the time so it's not a big problem while I experiment. Will try it in compatibility mode.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Hmm thats strange. The one I have came with a mini-cd with drivers on it.
            I don't actually use the USB cable so have never had a need to use the CD. Plus the PC it is used on is running W98.
            If you still have problems you can get the driver here www.marmitek.com/en/software/9647.html
            Oh one last thing have you tried taking the batteries out and leaving them out and the unit unplugged for about an hour or so. The putting them back in. and plugging it back into the mains. Sometimes they get stuck. Also I recommend that if you are not using the built in clock in the Cm11 I would leave the batteries out. As they are only there to back up this internal clock.
            Good luck
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CWatters
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2006

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately it seem to be more reliable now.

Comment

Working...
              X