Thread: Remote Controls

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Remote Controls

Hey all!

I am planning a small X10 install and I can't work which way to go with the remote.. Just looking at controlling some lights at the moment.

Has anyone get some advice? I have SKY+ and would like something that would IR to the SKY+ and RF for the X10.

I read somewhere that this won't talk to SKY+

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...roducts_id=136

And this looks quite nice?

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=62

But I can't find any reviews of either?!?!?

I will spent up to approx 100pounds.. but much more is a bit steep at the moment.

The easy touch is quite easy to set up but the RF X10 signal strength is rubbish. I got one for a client and it wouldn't work. Tried it at home and as long as I was about no more than 2 metres away from the TM13 transceiver it would work ok. The IR part worked fine.
    The other one has a good RF signal range about 15m through walls. But is let down badly by poor IR. Basically the touchscreen is for X10 only. IR wise you have got just the eight buttons at the bottom to program.

Automated Home Jr Member

easy touch is great if you don't want to leave the room then!! Bit rubbish!

Might go with the other one then. Cheers..

I use a Harmony 895 with an RF extender. The RF extender sits in front of my Homevision unit which then receives IR signals from the remote. The Homevision then sends out X10 commands. You could also do the same with an IR/RF Mini Controller / Transceiver unit. This can be programmed to use any type of remote. So you could by a universal remote set say the AUX button to a Phillips radio and then teach the IR/RF unit the buttons you want to switch lights on and off with.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes.. But then you have to be near the RF extender.. Which I don't want to have to do.

Harmony 895 does look nice though..

My RF extender is normally about 3 to 4m away from where I am. I've also been about 8m away from the extender and it still works. When using the remote