• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjsmith
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2006

speaker / microphone over cat5

Hi,

I want to place a single speaker / microphone at several locations around the house for voice recognition. I have plenty CAT5 in each room. Does anyone know if running a mike and speaker over a single UTP cat5 cable (4 pairs) would work for 15-30 meter runs without baluns of some sort?

Just looking for a neat and cheap way to run them back to the closet. I't certainly does not need to be high quality audio at the speakers as it'll only be used for voice announcements.

Thanks,

Paul
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by pjsmith View Post
    Hi,

I want to place a single speaker / microphone at several locations around the house for voice recognition. I have plenty CAT5 in each room. Does anyone know if running a mike and speaker over a single UTP cat5 cable (4 pairs) would work for 15-30 meter runs without baluns of some sort?

Just looking for a neat and cheap way to run them back to the closet. I't certainly does not need to be high quality audio at the speakers as it'll only be used for voice announcements.

Thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Running low power speakers over CAT5 will be fine, my bathroom speakers have been like that for 11 years now. Not exactyl Hifi but a lot better than the el cheapo "Shower Radios" that you can buy

The mic could be more difficult as the output from a mic is quite a low level signal so even with the "proper" cable doesnt like travelling huge distances but should be able to go the distance you propose.

You dont say what type of mic you intend to use. If it is a PC type mic then these are electret types that require power. Normally this is phantom powered over the cable which precludes any easy use of a balun as the DC power will not pass. You could just try direct connection to the cable to see what the results are like.

If the mic has a mono (2 pole) plug then connect tip to the colour, sleeve to the white. If the mic has a stereo (3 pole) plug then connect tip to Colour1, ring to colour2 and sleeve to white1 and white2.

If it is a balanced dynamic mic then you can connect it directly to a twisted pair. A normal balance mic cable is just a sheilded twisted pair. Lack of shileding could result in some interference but on such a short run you may well be able to get away with it.

There shouldnt be much interference from the speaker signal as levels will be low and provided you use a single pair the signal path will be balanced in that the active signal flows up one wire and returns via the other thereby cancelling out the magnetic field.

Sorry for the lack of a definative answer but there are so many variable it is difficult to say without actually trying it out!

Just get a length of CAT5 twice as long as your maximum intended run and see if it gives satisfactory results.....

.... then let us know how you got on

HTH

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• pjsmith
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • May 2006

Many thanks.

I'll report back once I've tried it.

Comment