• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1anh
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2007

Project suggestion..

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    This is a Masters degree and my task is to create a concept of a BMS.
    O' Boy, you have a lot to do... A couple of sugestions in a mo..:-

I work in a hi-tech building and with a lot of hitech stuff, mainly 3.5G and LTE Mobile comms. (btw, LTE is what comes next, when everyone is feed up is 3G)

I also have Mifare card handing around my neck every day with my picture on it, If I do not have it, I can not do two things. 1. Get in the building, 2. Buy my lunch!

Now beleive me, a geek with a Mifare card, with 50 Quid stored on it. You have got to have a poke!!. Trust me, it is pretty secure!! Dame thing!(The vision of free food has deminished..).

Now the sugestion:-
    1. Focus at industry instead of hotels. (You have you keep guess very happy or they don't pay or come back) In a work place, you can get away with a lot more!)

2. Change your door bolts to "Door stikes" and "Holding magnetics" Check out www.rswww.com

The method of door access using both iButtons, RFID and Magstipes fits your project much better. Most of our doors have holding magnets and a break glass on the inside of the door in the event of an emergency. They are all connect to a central computer system. (The system is by Sensomatic, btw it uses the magstrip on my card and not the RFID) to be changed in the future.

3. Try and connect everything by TCP/IP Cat5. Ind. Pref. Standard.

4. As i said before, the light are all connected into the BMS, 1000's of them. The sensors control them in blocks of six, ish. I beleive the units are called LMM's, they are made by philips. Simular to this:-
    Could not find the exact system.

5. Interconnect your system with HVAC(Air con) and the security system.

6. You could build in fire role call.

7, Give staff a vote on the room temperture in there area via web page.
    (Find a happy medium..)

8. Report building enegy usage levels.

9. Don't every forget "Social compliance" its very important, tech heads and geeks think very different to everybody else! Check your ideas out with others, be prepare for them not to be impressed or willing!

The only disapointing thing is, there is nothing new about any of it.
    I interview many graduates and I am continually disapointed with they lack of imagination with assignments(needless to said, most do not get the job!). Find something to turn peoples heads.

Look on this site for instance, a hand fully of geeks computerising there homes. Retrofitting electrics, Piecing togetter different systems. Real cool stuff but all Having problems with interoperbility and standards. There must be a better way. BMS should be in every new house build! Lighing, Security, HVAC, Automatic meter reading and Media systems. If mass produced, it would be cheap and good for the enviroment IMHO.

All the very best, and keep us up to date.

Hope this help..

Regards
    Ian - M1ANH
    Last edited by m1anh; 26 August 2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• dsc
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2007

re

G'day,

so a couple of answers:

- I can't change the building type, it has to be a hotel:|

- can go with pretty much any card, as long as it's RFID, so that's leaves me a lot of options. I'm not really sure whether I should write about the kinds of RFID cards that can be used, because frankly this can be a subject for a whole other Masters degree. Because this is a concept kind of paper I might be forced to leave it at "RFID readers" and that's it

- changed my bolts to electromechanical door locks, Assa Abloy produces them, you can go out of the room with no problems, but to get in you need to scan the card

- TCP/IP only can be quite tricky, will try though

- the light is controlled by PLC's, Watt Stopper US&PIR sensors and fobs

- there's also a fire system based on PLC's and a HVAC systems that allows to set temp and humidity of the air

Thanks again for your suggestions

It's already quite huge and I already did most of the simulations, so any changes can be quite time consuming.

Cheers,
      dsc.

Comment

Working...
      X