• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ciaranjd
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2007

Phono or "Banana"

Hello,

Plasterboard is going up next week, so I need to move quickly, I'm planning on running 79 strand speaker cable from a wall plate behind the wall mounted TV in the bedroom to a set of speakers or wall plates either side of the bed. Should I be using phono plates or the banana style?

As the TV is quite a distance away, we just wanted some method of bringing the sound closer, not really too bothered about accuracy of reproduction or even stereo vs mono at a push...it's just a bedroom telly.
  • richms
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2004

Defiantly not phonos, since they are for low level signals, I know some crap audio systems use them for speakers, but that's really cheap stuff that will be pushing under a watt thru them.

I would go for speakon connectors. They are made for the job and there is no worries about anyone having a problem with them over the whole "Europeans are idiots and stick their banana plugs into the power outlet" issues that plauge UK audio gear with those horrid BFA plugs being the result.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
      Founder
      • Jan 2004

Bananas are probably better for a speaker connection I'd think.

We have some rear effects speakers on the wall of our AV room and I just got a blank clipsal faceplate and drilled a small hole in the centre, passing the 79 strand straight thru and into the speaker terminals. Its neat and does away with a break in the cable and connectors. I'll try and take a photo if I remember.

M.
      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
      www.twitter.com/ottomate
      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ciaranjd View Post
        Hello,

Plasterboard is going up next week, so I need to move quickly, I'm planning on running 79 strand speaker cable from a wall plate behind the wall mounted TV in the bedroom to a set of speakers or wall plates either side of the bed. Should I be using phono plates or the banana style?
        Usually it is banana plugs & sockets.
        If you don't want to buy the proper plates now, as long as you've got the right cable in the wall you can leave it coiled up in the back-box until you're ready to use it. The same goes for other cable types too. The important thing at first fix is to get the cables installed - you can think about what /how to terminate them later

(I've got loads of cable sitting behind blank plates just waiting to be connected)

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TimH View Post
          Usually it is banana plugs & sockets.
          If you don't want to buy the proper plates now, as long as you've got the right cable in the wall you can leave it coiled up in the back-box until you're ready to use it. The same goes for other cable types too. The important thing at first fix is to get the cables installed - you can think about what /how to terminate them later

(I've got loads of cable sitting behind blank plates just waiting to be connected)

HTH,

Tim.
          I would have to agree with Tim. This is what I do when installing for clients. I just install the conduit and cables, then as and when decide how to do the connections.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Otto-Mate View Post
            I'll try and take a photo if I remember.
            Here you go...

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

Working...
            X