• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris12345
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2007

Boiler control failure

Hi.

I have a modern Halstean Eden VBX18 boiler (open vent system) which has worked fine thoughout the summer heating the the hot water for washing but when I started the central heating system for this recent cold snap the boiler would start up and run for a few minutes and then shutdown and remain off.
    Restarting the heating system would result in the same problem.

I have checked for air locks and the pump keeps running even when the boiler stops.
    Some of the upstairs radiators gets warm during the short burst of operation indicating the contol valve is operating and since the sytem does start up, if only for a short time, I guess the room themostat is ok.

Can I assume that the control failure is with the boiler despite it working fine for hot water?
  • sunbeam
    • Feb 2006

I would almost certainly say it was the diverter valve stuck in the hot water position,
    or the zone valve if you don't have a diverter.

although the valve seems to be motoring, the ball inside the valve could be stuck.

Comment

• chris12345
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2007

boiler control

thanks Sunbeam, will check it out.

Chris

Comment

• chris12345
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Sep 2007

boiler fixed

There was nothing wrong with any of the equipment, it was all my own silly fault.
        In order to change the bath tap washers without draining the tank I turned off all the valves I could find serving the hot water system including a bypass valve that should have not been toiuched, when I was finished I opened all the valves again including the bypass valve which was now fully open and resulted in the central heating not working.

Comment

• sunbeam
          • Feb 2006

All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
          X