• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

Dual control Light Switch

Hi All,

The wall switch at the bottom of our stairs controls two lights, our living room light, and the light at the top of the stairs. There is also a wall switch at the top of the stairs which controls the light upstairs.

I naively bought a double button x10 light switch, but now realised that it's completely wrong for it. (the current switch has four or five wires going into it).

What would be the best x10 solution for these switches?

Apologies if the question is not too clear.

Thanks

snx
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What is the model number of the X10 light switch and where did you get it. It may still be possible to use it.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2006

Hi Toscal,

It's one of the DOmia 2 gang wall switches:

Thanks.

Comment

• sonix
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • May 2006

Actually, there's one more thing i could use your help with, i've got some halogen spolights, but when i attach the above switch to it, it flickers. I assume that i need a Appliance wall switch, but i don't think you can get 2-wire versions of these?

Is there an alternative?

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Lets start with the last bit first. What type of halogens are they. Mains voltage or low voltage via a transformer. and what is the wattage. If the wattage is too low then this will cause problems. In my office the original plan was to have each halogen down lighter on its own X10 circuit, but due to the fact each bulb is either 35 or 50 watts I had to double up. So each X10 module now controls 2 lights rather than one. The module had a minimum rating of 60Watts.
          Looking at the PDF document for the switch it doesn't look like you can connect a second switch to it. So you can either fit a TMA4 or TMD4 micro module at the second switch location. The TMs are just a 4 module X10 controller that you add your own wall switches to. The TMA is just an On Off controller, where as the TMD will also do DIM and Bright commands. Both these need a neutral wire.
          Another option is the AWM2 micro module this has a built in appliance module and can control another module.
          Last edited by toscal; 27 September 2007, 08:49 PM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

just come up with another idea. Why not use a micro module scene controller.
            like this one http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...roducts_id=107

Place this in one location and your dual switch in the other. You just program the scene controller with the address you want to control.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • May 2006

Thans for the advice Toscal, very helpful as usual.

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

You can also get a scene controller built in to a switch like this one http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=63
                Good luck.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• theautomationstore
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2007

You can always try putting an aw12 in the ceiling rose. I have done this before, and it just about fits most standard fittings. It can then be controlled by a momentary switch at the wall, as well as via X10.

Comment

Working...
                  X