Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HCM200d and HR80UK TRV heads

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Still need to get the temperature sensor which will cost around 100 plus shipping (about 90). Not cheap but certainly less than getting the plumbing zoned by a plumber even without the control gear.
    So did you keep the flow/return as just a single zone that is on whenever >0 room zones have a heat demand (and apols if this was explained above.. I may have missed something). I'm thinking of per floor zoning (traditional zone valves) then motorised valves in all or main rooms (possibly bog standard TRVs in less heated rooms).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    That gives a grand total of just under 1300. I have not included the cost of the new rad valves in that which were around 15 each (3/4" bsp versions because I have hospital-type radiators).
    From the piccies, it looks like the HR80UK zone heads fit onto the TRV valve in place of the usual manual TRV body. Did you find anywhere to see you just the valve part or did you have to purchase complete TRV (and now have a drawer full of spare TRV bodies) ?

I went for Honeywell TRVs to ensure compatibility, but it does leave a stack of TRV bodies spare. Anyone need one?

Automated Home Lurker

Very useful thanks. Are you still happy with your system and did you investigate linking up to a computer or the web at all? Thanks in advance.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Working well now

I am happy with the system now, yes.

I eventually moved the controller as it was possibly too close to a DECT phone (about 1.5m away) and nearer to the boiler controller. It is all behaving now.

To explain a bit more, I fancy what was happening was that the controller was periodically losing communication with one or more of the valves. As a result it would go into a failure mode which includes cycling the boiler every 10 minutes, presumably as a frost protection measure. Given I have a 5m overrun on my boiler and a fairly large fan this was pretty wasteful. This seems to have stopped happening now.

Another suggestion that I would have coming from this is to set a lifestyle (say the last one) to have all rooms at a low, but different temperature, so you can check that they are all communicating and thinking that they are in the same room.

As for internet, no I haven't pursued that at all. I think that the controller would be massively improved by running from a computer though as setting it is pretty tedious and no one else in the house tends to touch it. Fine tuning or adding a room for just a day or two e.g. because of visitors, is a bit of a pain to manage. As a result no one else in the house touches it! If the communication with the valves wasn't encrypted, I would be quite tempted to explore that.

Finally, I notice that there is another system on the market now - it is referred to elsewhere in these forums but I can't find it just now!

Automated Home Lurker

Many thanks for the update.

Can I ask some more questions please: Is the unit multilingual? Are the valve motors noisy at all? Have you ever needed to update the firmware?

I have also been looking at the HouseHeat/HouseTech solution which is much cheaper but I have some reservations: It is only available in German (including the labelling on the plastic covers), I can't find out who makes it and what backup I could get, not sure if you can upgrade the firmware. Having said that the system is much cheaper.

Any more comments would be gratefully received - big investment I feel and hence a big call!

The HCM200D is not multi-lingual and the language cannot be changed via firmware updates so you need to buy the version that supports the language you require.

The radiator controllers do make some noise, it is a motor driving the valve after all. we have supplied/installed thousands of these and I only know of one customer who found the noise an issue in their bedroom. In this case the radiator controller seemed to transmit the mechanical noise to the radiator which in turn amplified the sound (the radiator was an aluminium, flat low-water-content model rather than the standard steel versions most people have). They were changing the radiators in their house in any case and the new column-style replacemnt did not cause any problems. If you are really sensitive to noise or easily disturbed then you may not want to fit one in your bedroom though.

If you want a UK-model Manager then do speak to us at Sensible Heat (the Honeywell-appointed sole UK distributor), we are not as cheap as euro mail-order/internet resellers but we actually install the system for a living so can directly support our customers should you have installation queries/set up issues. Our units are also guaranteed to be running latest firmware which may be an issue if you want to use some of the newer products Honeywell added to the range or should you want to use our Web Manager.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Multilingual no; valves audible

No, just one language but that needs to be specified at the time of order. I get the impression that the ROM might be different for each language.

I have not touched the firmware. I guessed that as it had been out for quite a few years when I got it it was likely to be stable and I didn't see them adding big changes.

The valves are certainly audible when adjusting, but really just the whirring sound of the gear turning. You tend only to notice when they first open up or shut down completely especially in a bedroom (where I live is pretty quiet). The only other time that they are a bit obvious is when the do their weekly 'exercise' function, especially during the summer. But certainly they are not silent like normal TRVs.

As an aside, the original set of batteries lasted two years - I had to replace them all this autumn.

Automated Home Lurker

Unhappy rather expensive

Hi,

Just a comment really (maybe a little venting too) . It's a rather expensive piece of equipment here for what it can really do. I've enquired sensibleheat.co.uk specifically for the HCM200D unit but got nothing specific as to how much does the unit cost but rather given a few pdf's. It seems like a non-starter here since I've explicitly mentioned I'd like to test with just 1 controller and 1 motorised head.

Quoting from the pdf, based on 5 room scenario.

2,745 --- equipment
    405 --- day's work, etc etc...

I'd wish somebody could sell these components separately so I can test with just 1 room and expand later on. Failing that, it's learning basic german so I can thrawl their site as mentioned by Dave.

I was quite surprised as how much we have to rely on imports from EU/China while people in this country just sells at an extortionate price. Even my builder charged me 20k refurbishing the house... I should've gone with the polish builder. Enough said...

Automated Home Jr Member

You don't say exactly what equipment is proposed for the 5 room scenario, but 2745 sounds a lot to me for 5 rooms.

I have the HCM200D, a HC60NG boiler relay, 14 HR80 valves and a few other bits and pieces of Hometronic gear in my setup and it did not cost anywhere near that.

Paul..

Quote Originally Posted by kensun View Post
    Hi,

Just a comment really (maybe a little venting too) . It's a rather expensive piece of equipment here for what it can really do. I've enquired sensibleheat.co.uk specifically for the HCM200D unit but got nothing specific as to how much does the unit cost but rather given a few pdf's. It seems like a non-starter here since I've explicitly mentioned I'd like to test with just 1 controller and 1 motorised head.

Quoting from the pdf, based on 5 room scenario.

2,745 --- equipment
    405 --- day's work, etc etc...

I'd wish somebody could sell these components separately so I can test with just 1 room and expand later on. Failing that, it's learning basic german so I can thrawl their site as mentioned by Dave.

I was quite surprised as how much we have to rely on imports from EU/China while people in this country just sells at an extortionate price. Even my builder charged me 20k refurbishing the house... I should've gone with the polish builder. Enough said...

Automated Home Lurker

Sheesh,,,I must be a right thicko, how on earth do I post anew thread?

ta