• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdw
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2007

Backboard material for mounting HA patresses

Easy question (please be nice to the newbie):

What's the best wood material to use as a mounting board ?

- Chip ? MDF ? Ply?

Normally I'd reach for whatever I had lying around rather than perhaps the most suitable but when we moved 4 months I was made to throw away my stash of useful offcuts!

--
    Specifically I'm planning a first purchase of some Idratek kit and want to mount a board on the wall on which to mount some of the patresses. Idea being to mount the board on standoffs and so need only 4 (decent) fixings to the back wall of the cupboard (rather than fixing every patress directly to the wall).

In the more immediate term, I can use the board to build up a neat-ish test in the study - keeping it tidy will keep the wife happier !
    Jon
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Some US sites have suggested mounting a 3/4" sheet of ply to the wall and then fitting the gadgets to that. It certainly makes it easier than drilling, fitting wall plugs and then putting the screws in.

If you're going to use the void behind the board to run cables you obviously you need to make sure that the screws put into the patresses are shorter than the thickness of the board...

HTH,

Tim
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jpdw
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2007

I settled in the end of a piece of ply - an offcut I spotted whilst on a tool borrowing reccie @ my parents (30 years since they last moved = lots of 'spares').

Though getting the screws into it can be quite annoying

Indeed, TimH, the intention is to avoid drilling the wall as much as possible...
      Jon

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jpdw View Post
        I settled in the end of a piece of ply - <snip>

Though getting the screws into it can be quite annoying
        It may seem a silly question but what screws are you using? And are you drilling a pilot hole first?

I find these two things can make a big difference to how easy the job goes, as even a 2mm pilot is often just enough to 'steer' the screw in the right direction.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jpdw
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TimH View Post
          It may seem a silly question but what screws are you using? And are you drilling a pilot hole first?

I find these two things can make a big difference to how easy the job goes, as even a 2mm pilot is often just enough to 'steer' the screw in the right direction.

HTH,

Tim.
          I was drilling a small pilot first .. the main problem though was that the only short screws I have are slot & not cross-head - which I hate using .. minor problem really!
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X