• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicktaylor
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2007

Starting out, limited budget

Hi all,

Apologies for no doubt asking what are obvious questions.

I've just moved into a new house, which requires a fair amount of decorating throughout. I've got a living room TV and home cinema amp, and also a NAS filled with music and TV shows. We currently use a modded X-Box as a media-centre of sorts, and also have a PC with freeview card and an XBox 360 to use as an extender.

I'd like to take the opportunity as the house needs decorating to install cabling - my thoughts initially were just to put Cat6 everywhere so we can stream stuff from the NAS around the house.

So far I've spoken to a couple of AV-type companies, but they seem expensive and interested in trying to sell lots of high-end kit. I'm wary of scrimping on the cabling, though, and wishing later that I'd put more thought into it.

Any suggestions about where I should go with this - for now it's really just an IP network to each room, and then a cupboard somewhere with a patch panel / switch, but I don't want to rule out native video / lighting / etc later on.

For a four bed / two bath / two reception, retrofitting Cat6 around - am I talking 10s of thousands to install that sort of cabling? I don't really have any idea

Thanks,
    Nick.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at Abitana. www.abitana.com
    This may fit your needs.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• ukmgranger
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2006

Hi Nick,

I was in a very similar situation to you about a year ago.

I (unfortunately) had to have my whole house wired, so at the same time I got the electricians to wire cat5e cable to each room, and have them terminate in a small cupboard upstairs. This now means that I have a server running in the cupboard (running SageTV which is awsome). I have 'MVP extenders' (Hauppauge) in the main bedroom & lounge, and a small client PC in the kitchen which all connect to SageTV.

I have 3 freeview cards in the Server in the cupboard and about 2.5TB of storage which holds all of my DVD's music and photos.

There is also the option of getting a wireless MVP's too.

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Nick,

Are you looking to do the install-work yourself, or bring in a company to do it?
        And are you sure you want Cat6?

Cheers,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• sjrixon
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2007

Pulling cat5 is fairly easy. My last place I was able to drop most of them in the wall cavities . When I sold it nobody knew what all the RJ45 outlets on the wall were for!

Comment

Working...
          X