• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stylo
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2007

PIR and Video Recording

Hi all. I'm interested to know if there is a way to setup a PIR to trigger a PC with webcam to start recording.

I've used the motion detect SW to do this but never works well enough for external facing cameras (changes in light/wind moving trees etc all cause unnecessary recordings).

Any tips appreciated.

Adam
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Will contact the supplier I use to see what they can come up with. I know certain DVR system can do it but No too sure about Pc based systems.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stylo
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2007

OK thanks for that.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

There are video cards for connection of up to 4 cameras. Depending on the software used it is possible for a compatible alarm console,needs to have either RS232 or 485 comms, to then comunicate with the pc when a pir is triggered. The pc would need some form of RS485 interface I think.
        Another way is to have a stand alone DVR connected to your pc either via a network or directly via USB. These have the posibility of direct sensor connections, so if the PIR has a switched contact when triggered then you can connect this upto the DVR,on say channel 1 and connect a camera to channel 1.Now when the PIR is triggered it will trigger recording of the camera. Though some will start recording all connected cameras.
        Send me a PM if you want more details of the DVRs and I will email specs etc.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stylo
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for that. Will think it through.
          Adam

Comment

• m1anh
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by stylo View Post
            Hi all. I'm interested to know if there is a way to setup a PIR to trigger a PC with webcam to start recording.

I've used the motion detect SW to do this but never works well enough for external facing cameras (changes in light/wind moving trees etc all cause unnecessary recordings).

Any tips appreciated.

Adam
            Have you tried zoneminder ,Works very well for me. Some good advice is DO NOT USE cheap cameras!. I only buy cameras that contain a Sony CCD. i.e. Ex-view HAD or Exwave HAD.

I find the motion detection in the software very good. However, it does support external Input / Outputs, including X10. Although not used it.

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X