X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Forget bugs in the system what about Ants

Had an interesting day last Friday. A client phoned up saying his gates where playing up. Went round and had found that ants had nested not only in the control box and laid eggs in there, but had laid eggs in the sensor eyes as well. Probably why the gates where acting funny.
    Sprayed round everything and spent about 2 hours cleaning out dead ants. All worked after that.
    Just wondering if any one else has had similar problems and are there any ways to prevent it from happening again.
    Have attached a photo of the sensor I took with my mobile.
    The white blur is the eggs.
    Attached Files
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

Uhhh... gross!!

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Eeeuuuwww...

The tumble dryer sheets called "Bounce" are said to keep spiders away from PIRs, maybe they'll work for the ants. The effect will probably wear off quicker if outside though.

Not sure what to suggest really - if the control box is IP5x it should be easy to keep them out, provided all connections use the appropriate glands etc., if not then copious amounts of silicone sealer in the gaps should help.

It's hard to know what to do about the eyes. Maybe a thin bead of silicone around the edges, but be careful it doesn't impact the sensing function.

Maybe ant power inside the boxes too, just incase?

HTH,

Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Like the ant powder idea. Thanks for that.
        I did also think of using those little plastic ant hotel things, they check in and never leave.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Home IQ
          Automated Home Lurker
          • May 2007

Hi, like tim says, plenty of silicone around the glands where all cables enter the control box, and i normally use electrical compound (maleable putty type stuff) inside the photocells. I have travelled 100+ miles before to shift a spider from a customers photocells!! some control panels also will not open the gates if there is something blocking the infrared safety beam.

The photo looks like the "nice" gate automation range, how well does that stuff perform? i have seen them in various electrical wholesalers with a stunning lady in a card cutout (lifesize) holding a transmitter keyfob rather provocatively!!

Carl.

Comment

Working...
          X