• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdw
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2007

Interpretation of Part P wrt Heating

I've been meaning to post this question for a few days but the X-10 DIN rail thread (elsewhere on the forum) reminded me...

First... I know any real/legal interpration would need to be done by real legal people etc, so I'm just asking what is people's own opinion/interpration on this subject (hope that's okay, admin?!).

The Part P regs say "New central heating control wiring installations are notifiable even when work in kitchens & bathrooms is avoided".

The bit that "New" applies to is confusing me.... It seems it could either mean:
    1) new installation (eg complete replacement or green-field install)
    2) new modifications to an existing system are notifiable (eg relocate controller)

I think/hope that interpretation (1) is the correct meaning but I wonder what is other peoples interpretation?
    Jon
  • Dippy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2006

I've only just decided to start using this forum regularly hence my late post.

I'm doing a lot of electrics in my own house so I have studied the Part P regs quite a lot. My advice is as follows:

1) Part P guidance is indeed guidance. IIRC the law (the relevant SI) doesn't mention heating. The only real way to confirm this is to ask the LABC.
    2) Regarding notification, the other bits of part P contrast "new" with "replacement". Part P was also conceived primarily to avoid accidents caused by DIY work. Therefore the best interpretation is your no. 2

Comment

• jpdw
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dippy View Post
      I've only just decided to start using this forum regularly hence my late post.

I'm doing a lot of electrics in my own house so I have studied the Part P regs quite a lot. My advice is as follows:

1) Part P guidance is indeed guidance. IIRC the law (the relevant SI) doesn't mention heating. The only real way to confirm this is to ask the LABC.
      2) Regarding notification, the other bits of part P contrast "new" with "replacement". Part P was also conceived primarily to avoid accidents caused by DIY work. Therefore the best interpretation is your no. 2
      Hi Dippy .... welcome & I think you're probably the one-and-same I've been replying to over on the diynot forums!

As some of the part p seems open to interpration, I've come to the conclusion that - as we're planning some bigger works (kitchen) next year - I wait on the specifc job I was planning (moving heating controller) till the plans are a bit more settled then discuss with LABC & submit the parts that need it... Like you I want to do much of it myself though maybe not quite as much as you.

By then, I may have decided to dispense with the heating controller altogether (or like others have done, leave in place, but off) and run the system more "intelligently".

So for the moment I've limited my heating modifications to replacing the old thermostat with a new one (which just happens to be a computer controlled relay, but to the heating system is much the same - on/off ).
      Jon

Comment

Working...
      X