• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukmgranger
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2006

doorbell that connects to pc

Hi all,

I am trying to work out how to build a doorbell that will play an MP3 on my PC when someone presses it.

The reason that I am doing this is because I am deeply unsatisfied with all the current doorbells that are out there(Jacob Jensen was the last one that I tried), and figured that the only way to get a great sounding bell would be to have the PC play a high quality sample through a decent speaker.

Is there anything on the market that can do this?
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

Find one that uses 433mhz RF, and use RFXCOM to listen?

Comment

• ukmgranger
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2006

This sounds interesting! Any idea where you can buy one in th UK?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Have a look here

Hi all, Im new to your forum and it looks like their is a lot of experience on here, so here goes and I hope you can help me. Im looking for some one to help me design a circuit for a doorbell to play a 20-30 second MP3 file of my choosing which would be stored on a cheap memory card, say...

This one looks cool http://www.re-bell.com/index_E.html

Also try ebay for mp3 doorbells
        Last edited by toscal; 19 November 2007, 10:48 PM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• ukmgranger
          Automated Home Lurker
          • May 2006

Originally posted by toscal View Post
          Have a look here

Hi all, Im new to your forum and it looks like their is a lot of experience on here, so here goes and I hope you can help me. Im looking for some one to help me design a circuit for a doorbell to play a 20-30 second MP3 file of my choosing which would be stored on a cheap memory card, say...

This one looks cool http://www.re-bell.com/index_E.html

Also try ebay for mp3 doorbells
          All interesting results!!

The 're-bell' does indeed look pretty cool. I'm just not convinced that it will sound great.

The sound usually has a two part deterioration in my eyes (or ears). It is usually down-sampled when transfered to the bell device (which makes it sound auful) and the it gets played out of a small tinny speaker. most doorbells have both of these problems combined which makes for a really rubbish sound.

This is why I want the sound to be played by the PC itself, as I can have the soundcard output to whatever quality speakers I want.

I'm not even really after a particularly gimmicky sound. I will either use a sample from my sound library (I am (or used to be at least) a sound engineer) or record some realistic bells etc.

I sort of assumed that there would be a product on the market that would allow your PC to act as a wireless doorbell?!?

Thanks the suggestions though! all avenues are worth looking down.

Lets keep the ideas rolling in!!!!

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

You don't mention what other automation hardware/systems you're running, but xAP would be a pretty good starting point for this. There's a number of different hardware solution options, but the common software theme seems to be xAP (http://www.xapautomation.org/wiki/in...tion_protocol).

With a Comfort alarm system as the hardware interface to the button-press:

Via Dallas (Maxim) 1-Wire sensors:

and/or
            http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/tags/jabber (scroll down to "26 Aug 2004: Bling Blong")

There's a bit more info in this Automated Home thread too, with some more hardware suggestions (NetIOM, WebBrick etc):

Also see the xAP forum here on Automated Home:

HTH,

Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

• ukmgranger
              Automated Home Lurker
              • May 2006

Originally posted by TimH View Post
              You don't mention what other automation hardware/systems you're running, but xAP would be a pretty good starting point for this. There's a number of different hardware solution options, but the common software theme seems to be xAP (http://www.xapautomation.org/wiki/in...tion_protocol).

With a Comfort alarm system as the hardware interface to the button-press:

Via Dallas (Maxim) 1-Wire sensors:

and/or
              http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/tags/jabber (scroll down to "26 Aug 2004: Bling Blong")

There's a bit more info in this Automated Home thread too, with some more hardware suggestions (NetIOM, WebBrick etc):

Also see the xAP forum here on Automated Home:

HTH,

Tim.
              Hi Tim,

Thanks for the links! That all made very interesting reading.

I have ordered one of these adaptors for my pc:
              http://www.audon.co.uk/1-wire_interface.html the RS232 to 1-wire Adaptor.

I'm hoping that with this I will be able to hook up an old rf doorbell that I have, as suggested in the "26 Aug 2004: Bling Blong" link. It is a little short on how you actually do it, but I think that I will be asking many questions on the forums whn I actually get the hardware.

Thanks again for the great links

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

Well if you're interested in extending your automation then The IDRATEK system, whilst maybe somewhat overkill for this single application, already has dedicated support for such a feature. Not only will it play a sound file of your choice out of the PC (or better still to selected IDRATEK audio panels), but it will also automatically stop the sound when the door is opened (or can be cancelled by a variety of other means) :-)

Karam

IDRATEK LTD

Comment

• TimH
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ukmgranger View Post
                  Hi Tim,

Thanks for the links! That all made very interesting reading.

I have ordered one of these adaptors for my pc:
                  http://www.audon.co.uk/1-wire_interface.html the RS232 to 1-wire Adaptor.

I'm hoping that with this I will be able to hook up an old rf doorbell that I have, as suggested in the "26 Aug 2004: Bling Blong" link. It is a little short on how you actually do it, but I think that I will be asking many questions on the forums whn I actually get the hardware.

Thanks again for the great links
                  No problem, I'm glad they were useful
                  There's a reasonable intro to 1-Wire here:

There's a specific 1-Wire device that can monitor contact closures - when I find the part number I'll post it here (I'm interested in it too, but for a different application )

Cheers,

Tim.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

• ukmgranger
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                    Well if you're interested in extending your automation then The IDRATEK system, whilst maybe somewhat overkill for this single application, already has dedicated support for such a feature. Not only will it play a sound file of your choice out of the PC (or better still to selected IDRATEK audio panels), but it will also automatically stop the sound when the door is opened (or can be cancelled by a variety of other means) :-)

Karam

IDRATEK LTD
                    Hi Karam,

This looks awsome!

A few of questions.
                    1. What exactly would I need from the IDRATEK range to make said doorbell?

2. Does IDRTEK work with X10?

3. Is there Vista support yet?

Regards

Mart
                    Last edited by ukmgranger; 23 November 2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Karam
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2005

1. Well you'd need a basic IDRANet infrastructure:

- PCD-001 (interfaces PC RS232 to IDRANet bus and protocol)
                      - MPD-001 (provides bus loading, connection point for 12V supply and connection point for IDRANet bus spurs)
                      - 12-15V regulated DC supply (we can provide such as PSU-001)
                      - A suitable digital interface module (ODI, DIO, DRB, DRH etc. the latter two, a bit more expensive, have relay and LED output functions which you could then use for example to switch on lights and/or act as a cancel button. The door bell button and a door sensor can connect into one of these modules.
                      - Cortex core software license (CTX-001) running on a Windows PC with native or PCI card RS232 port.

Looking at our current price list, the above lot will set you back around £120 for hardware (excluding PC of course) and £99 for software + VAT so as I say way overkill for just a doorbell chime. But, if you are actually interested in adding/using other automation features then it starts to make very good sense (and far cheaper very quickly) to go for a system like this rather than lashing up lots of adhoc technologies and then trying to integrate yourself. There are already other features inherent to the basic setup that you probably did not think about which may enhance its value - as a trivial example: since Cortex records data you'd have a history of when your door bell was rung and also when the door was opened. Ever have a courier say they tried to deliver but no-one was in? ;-). If you spend a little extra for Cortex comms. pack you could get the system to call/e-mail/text you upon door bell or door open (or close) event, and so on .....

2. Yes there are two methods for physically interfacing to X10 - either via a second RS232 port to a CM12U type unit or via an XGW-001/CM12U (IDRANet/CM12U interface). Cortex itself has support to integrate X10 relay type modules and dimmer modules.

3. Support for Vista not yet resolved but working on it.

Karam

IDRATEK LTD

Comment

Working...
                      X