• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazza67
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2007

Newbie - Where to Start - Developing applications

Hi,

I am new to this field, and this forum, so a newbie in all senses of the word. I am a Software Developer looking into this area, initially to build a system that would work in my home.

I want to know how I can wire up things like door contacts, and other wonderful security, home automated type things, but interface them with my pc, either wirelessly or wired. Ideally, i am not bothered about the software as i want to do this myself, but i would like something like a bridge which would receive signals from these devices, and then identify those signals to my PC so i can manage the results from there.

A starting point, or any help at all would be fantastic, not sure of the technologies involved so really am starting from scratch.

Thanks
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

xPL and xAP is what you are the things are you looking for I think!

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2004

Hi

As have a look at Derricks site he has a usb to i/o interface which uses xPL...

HTH
      Frank
      Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
      http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• Mazza67
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2007

Thanks

Thanks guys, the usb thing is almost exactly what i was looking for, and by the looks already has some code samples so i wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel.

If i can write some meaningful software around this area, i will be sure to share it with other forum members, any suggestions for software features would be greatly received!

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X