X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drbob
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2011

After a bit more thought and discussion with other family members I think we'll stick with the current 3 zones but get the evotouch & dt92s to control them. This would be identical to the system layout described on page 8&9 of the evo-touch application guide, except with three zones instead of two.

It would be nice to have extra zones for the bathrooms and the lounge but I don't think the extra cost of fitting HR80s throughout the house is justifiable to achieve this.

I notice that fitting a BDR91 to the boiler is optional. When fitted does the evotouch perform load compensation (e.g zone valve open but boiler off for part of the duty cycle to modulate water temperature down when close to the setpoint)? If this is the case isn't this direct load compensation, described as dangerous to non-condensing boilers by NeilUK earlier in this thread?

Without a BDR91 on the boiler I assume the boiler is switched on/off only via the opening of zone valves and no load compensation occurs?

With the above described zone-valve based set-up am I right in thinking we could still add a couple of HR80s as additional remote sensors to ensure all areas of a zone are at the set-point?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
    Last edited by drbob; 10 March 2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
      • Feb 2009

Boiler compensation is not really a feature of the boiler relay although it does allow some variation on firing based on load. However you can set the number of starts per hour etc so it is not the same as direct boiler compensation where the flow temperature is measured and controlled to much lower temperatures.

There is a version of the boiler relay that supports the opentherm control protocol, this will allow compatible boilers to modulate their burner or water flow temperature based on percentage heating load from the controls system.
      Sensible Heat
      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• aekostas
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
        you don't get centralised management for holidays etc.
        Sorry to insist, but does the evohome support Party and the Holiday-I-am-in-treat-it-like-a-Sunday mode?

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by aekostas View Post
          Sorry to insist, but does the evohome support Party and the Holiday-I-am-in-treat-it-like-a-Sunday mode?
          Honeywell are adding programmable Lifestyles to Evo, still not sure though if this is on the kit now available or to be added later (should be a firmware update). I'm still waiting to hear how many lifestlyes will be available and whether they allow time control rather than temporary or permanent (24/7) override of the timeclock etc. So this is a planned feature but exactly how it will work is still not 100% known.
          Sensible Heat
          SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• aekostas
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2011

I am up in the middle of the night because the HC60NG has decided to cycle a few times an hour (it should not be firing, but more than the 3 cph that I have configured it). That's with the CM67z set to OFF and also with its usual, low set-points (14 and 13.5).

Things I tried:

- Checked rads; other than the bypass (no HR80UK) all cold.

- Pressed HC60NG button for 15 seconds, then again for 5 and synced with the CM67z; the red light went off and the boiler kicked in.

- Checked the CM67z parameters, in particular:
            . 7:PE 0 (disabled)
            . 16:LC 0 (relay OFF)
            . 17:SU (actually 13:SU in my case): 0 (HR80UK enabled) and 2 (both HR80UK and HC60NG enabled) made no difference; 0 is my usual.
            - 6:tS is 2 (enabled for display and control)

I will try to go around the house and remove the batteries from the HR80UKs tomorrow to see if I can eliminate it; I have switched the boiler off for now using its old timer so I can sleep.

Any thought on how to address the dreaded problem will be most appreciated.

Comment

• aekostas
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2011

I am up in the middle of the night because the HC60NG has decided to cycle a few times an hour (it should not be firing, but more than the 3 cph that I have configured it). That's with the CM67z set to OFF and also with its usual, low set-points (14 and 13.5).

Things I tried:

- Checked rads; other than the bypass (no HR80UK) all cold.

- Pressed HC60NG button for 15 seconds, then again for 5 and synced with the CM67z; the red light went off and the boiler kicked in.

- Checked the CM67z parameters, in particular:
              . 7:PE 0 (disabled)
              . 16:LC 0 (relay OFF)
              . 17:SU (actually 13:SU in my case): 0 (HR80UK enabled) and 2 (both HR80UK and HC60NG enabled) made no difference; 0 is my usual.
              - 6:tS is 2 (enabled for display and control)

I will try to go around the house and remove the batteries from the HR80UKs tomorrow to see if I can eliminate it; I have switched the boiler off for now using its old timer so I can sleep.

Any thought on how to address the dreaded problem will be most appreciated.
              Update: with the CM67z in the OFF position (and also with the settings much below the ambient temperature) it seems to be kicking in every 10 minutes for 1 minute 30 seconds. That's like 6 cph, though it is set to 3cph.

Faulty HC60NG?

Comment

• aekostas
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Feb 2011

Caught it: HR80UK was not seated properly. Why that puts it in (presumably) frost-protection mode, I have no idea. I wonder if I will be getting the same once the batteries start depleting.

Anyway, result!

Comment

• rarrarrar
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2011

HR80 Comms

Like to understand how things work before purchasing so any answers to the following would be appreciated:
                  1) Does the HR80 communicate directly to the wireless relay when requesting heat, or via the CM67z ? One diagram I saw suggested that the CM67z controls the HR80 temperature set point but the HR80 communicated directly with the wireless relay HC60NG to request heat.
                  2) Is the comms exactly the same when using the EVOhome controller ?

3) Can a HR80 be manually turned OFF without it being reset at the next programmed time period ?

Thanks

Comment

• aekostas
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by rarrarrar View Post
                    3) Can a HR80 be manually turned OFF without it being reset at the next programmed time period ?
                    I might know the answer to this but I don't understand the question. Do you want to shut the rad off until you decide to switch it back on again? I would remove its head and screw in the wheel by hand (but not reposition the head until I want heat again).
                    Last edited by aekostas; 10 October 2011, 09:07 PM. Reason: DEleted answer to q1 as SensibleHeatUK is to be trusted. :-)

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                      • Feb 2009

Like to understand how things work before purchasing so any answers to the following would be appreciated:
                      1) Does the HR80 communicate directly to the wireless relay when requesting heat, or via the CM67z ? One diagram I saw suggested that the CM67z controls the HR80 temperature set point but the HR80 communicated directly with the wireless relay HC60NG to request heat.
                      2) Is the comms exactly the same when using the EVOhome controller ?

Thanks
                      1) HR80s send their heat demand to whatever main controller you are using - CM67, Evo Touch or Hometronic Manager. The controller (of whichever type) collates the heat demands and passes the highest demand to the boiler relay. This is mainly because the boiler relays only have a small registration table - they can be registered to a maximum of 4 devices.

However this also means that you can only register a single boiler relay to a main controller - you cannot have multiple boiler relays with say the first 4 zones using one boiler relay and the remainder using the other.

2) HR80s are also compatible with all main controllers although the exact feature set does vary slightly between systems (not so much with HR80s but certainly with boiler relays etc).

3) No, HR80s will always respond to the time program even after manual override. The only time this is not true is if a Lifestyle or manual override is activated (which also depends on which controller you are using).
                      Sensible Heat
                      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• rarrarrar
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Oct 2011

Thanks but-
                        3) So there is no way to manually turnoff the HR80 in say 1 room of a zone" semi-permanently ie a few days.

1) What do you mean by "collates the heat demands and passes the highest demand to the boiler relay" ?

Comment

• rarrarrar
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Oct 2011

I might know the answer to this but I don't understand the question. Do you want to shut the rad off until you decide to switch it back on again? I would remove its head and screw in the wheel by hand (but not reposition the head until I want heat again).
                          I want to switch a radiator off for a couple of days as the room doesnt need to be heated - unoccupied.
                          The literature says manual changes to set temp are overridden at the next time period.

Comment

• aekostas
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Feb 2011

I want to switch a radiator off for a couple of days as the room doesnt need to be heated - unoccupied.
                            The literature says manual changes to set temp are overridden at the next time period.
                            Yes, that's how I read it. The solution I provided is the only one I can think of. Unless you have a spare zone to dedicate to it and set it to 7 deg or sth as needed.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                              • Feb 2009

Thanks but-
                              3) So there is no way to manually turnoff the HR80 in say 1 room of a zone" semi-permanently ie a few days.

1) What do you mean by "collates the heat demands and passes the highest demand to the boiler relay" ?
                              Collating demand means the main controller will collect all of the heat demands individually from the radiator controllers and then see which has the highest demand. This highest demand is then used to switch the boiler relay.

And no, if you have the CM67 with more than one HR80 in each zone then there is nothing you can do using the CM67 to disable just one radiator. One option could be to factory reset the single HR80 and leave it unregistered - this way it will stay at whatever temperature you set through the dial. When you are ready to have it controlled normally you can then re-bind it.
                              Sensible Heat
                              SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• rarrarrar
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Oct 2011

Really a pity they didnt provide a "hard manual " OFF on the HR80 !

Comment

Working...
                                X