• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2007

Powermax+ software/powerlink

I'm shortly going to be replacing a rather elderly Scantronic system with a Powermax+. At the moment, the system is only really used to protect the workshop at the end of the garden (part set) as the presence of three Bengal cats prevents arming of the main house.

Anyway, remote monitoring and control would be nice. The Powerlink seems to be very hard to find in the UK, but I presume I could buy one from the US. The alternative would be a PC (I already have one sitting there running the phone system), but the RS232 kt doesn't seem to offer the same kind of features as the powerlink.

Any thoughts?
  • b_weijenberg
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2006

Visonic devices from the US use 315MHz and are not certified for use in Europe!
    And the power supply is 130V/60Hz. I don't know if the X10 interface will work for your 50Hz power line.

The best choice is to use 868.95MHz Visonic and is available at: https://www.home-automation-internat...8385e4c1b58d12

Or at the Dutch site: http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/...nbraak-visonic

An USB or Ethernet connected receiver for Visonic signals is available at http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#60007

Bert

Comment

• PaulC
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2007

I have a UK spec Powemax+ in a box ready to install.

What I was asking about is the Powerlink module.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

As the powerlink plugs directly into the Powermax plus then getting one from the states shouldn't be a problem, just change the powersupply for a UK spec one. This is what I got from a Visonic dealer in the UK "Visonic UK have still not released the product over here as they are not 100% happy with the user nterface, so unfortunately we can't give you a price at this time on that item." Which is possibly why you can't get one. Mind you that was over a year ago. And they are now releasing a Powemax Pro system.
        Visonic do do pet friendly motion sensors. And these work really well. Apart from when a clients cat decided to jump onto a cupboard and then down again. The cat was about 10cm away from the sensor. I relocated the sensor (the cupboard wasn't there during the original install), and their 3 cats and 2 dogs haven't set the alarm off again.
        The RS232 software is really used for programming the units rather than using the LCD display on the unit.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• PaulC
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2007

Thanks for that. The kit I bought came with a pair of the pet tollerant sensors and I've already been puzzling out where to position the them. Bengals love heights and will sit on top of doors or run around the plate rail near the dining room ceiling, so finding reliable locations might be a bit of a challenge.

I think I'll set the system up for the house (leaving the Scantronic system intact) and then connect the workshop later. I'll have to see if the signal will reach that far or whether I stick with a wired system out there. A repeater probably wouldn't help unless it was positioned half way down the garden.

I'd like to add cameras (particularly for the workshop) and remote monitoring, but it seems as if there are some issues with the Powerlink. Does anyone actually have experience with one? It's not the cheapest thing to buy!

Comment

• Mr_Orange
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2008

Hi there. Sorry to resurect this thread, but does anybody know if the Powerlink module is now available in the UK? Google still turns remarkably few hits.

Thanks.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

In a word yes.
              Have a look at these places:

Security Warehouse. Security Supplies. Cheap Prices for Texecom, Pyronix, Visonic, Scantronic, Honeywell Visonic Powerlink Starter kit (inc 1 x CAM 2000WL Camera) [VIS-PWRLNKKIT(2000wl)] - Web-based remote surveillance and control systemPowerLink provides the ultimate in home security and peace of mind. Not only can PowerLink give users total remote control over their entire home environment - security, air-conditioning, appliances and lighting; PowerLink enables them keep an eye on their property and their loved ones from

Good luck
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Mr_Orange
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                In a word yes.
                Have a look at these places:

Security Warehouse. Security Supplies. Cheap Prices for Texecom, Pyronix, Visonic, Scantronic, Honeywell Visonic Powerlink Starter kit (inc 1 x CAM 2000WL Camera) [VIS-PWRLNKKIT(2000wl)] - Web-based remote surveillance and control systemPowerLink provides the ultimate in home security and peace of mind. Not only can PowerLink give users total remote control over their entire home environment - security, air-conditioning, appliances and lighting; PowerLink enables them keep an eye on their property and their loved ones from

Good luck
                I saw both of those, and actually spoke to Viewcare about a year ago, who told me, "they aren't selling it because the web server can easily be hacked". I thought things might have moved on since then.

The item is suspiciously "Out of stock" at Security Warehouse!!

Think I'll give Visonic a ring.

Cheers.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Let us know how you got on.
                  I do know that the Visonic seem to take ages to update their website. There is a new version of the Powermax called the Powermax Pro, and its not even mentioned on their website, and took over 6 months for them to update the site with the GSM module.
                  Just had a look at one of my Spanish suppliers and they stock the Powerlink, its not cheap though at 435 euros plus 16% for Spanish VAT. Visonic product in Spain seem to be more expensive, than in the UK. Also I think the web pages will be in Spanish only.
                  Last edited by toscal; 7 July 2008, 01:54 PM.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Mr_Orange
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Mar 2008

Well, I spoke to Visonic UK today, who said that the Powerlink is NOT available in the UK yet, although it is in other European countries.

No word when it will be available either - not very helpful really.

I'm now on a list to receive a phone call when they have some news. I shan't be holding my breath!!

Comment

Working...
                    X