Thread: "Upscaling" the composite signal from Kat5

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

Default "Upscaling" the composite signal from Kat5

At the moment, I am using the Kat5 units between my garage (where my Tivo's are) and living room (where the TV is) and feed the Kat5 signal into an RGB scart switch. As all the other inputs are RGB, but only the Kat5 unit is Composite, and the TV has a very awkward menu to navigate to get from RGB to Composite, I was wondering if I could "upscale" the Composite signal to RGB, so the TV no longer had to be switched from RGB to Composite and vice versa. I found the following product: http://www.lektropacks.com/view_prod...&sub1=6&show=6 which seems to do just that. Would you see any problems with using such a thing?

Thanks,

Q.

Should work with no problems at all but you wont get any increase in quality as they suggest in their description. It will be an RGB signal but once some of the picture quality has been lost by conversion to Composite it will never be the same as the original. In the same way that an MP3 file burnt as an audio track will never be the same as the original CD track that it was taken from.

Hope that helps.

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    Should work with no problems at all but you wont get any increase in quality as they suggest in their description. It will be an RGB signal but once some of the picture quality has been lost by conversion to Composite it will never be the same as the original. In the same way that an MP3 file burnt as an audio track will never be the same as the original CD track that it was taken from.
    Yeah, I am not so much worried about the loss (or rather, no gain) of quality, as it's a million miles better than the modulated signal I was using before Kat5 came into my life. The switching of inputs on the TV is annoying the hell out of me, so I was looking for solutions (workarounds?) to it.

Someone on IRC suggested that I should also be able to use an old VCR which puts out an RGB signal. I suppose the Lektropacks unit is just a trimmed/slimmed down version of the same functionality present in a VCR?

Hope that helps.

Keith
    As usual, you are a star

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Someone on IRC suggested that I should also be able to use an old VCR which puts out an RGB signal. I suppose the Lektropacks unit is just a trimmed/slimmed down version of the same functionality present in a VCR?
    I have NEVER seen a VCR with RGB outputs so that is a non starter, however for about the same money as the converter you could probably get a DVD Recorder that has an RGB output and use that to upconvert the output. As an added bonus you would have an archiving device thrown in for free
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    I have NEVER seen a VCR with RGB outputs so that is a non starter, however for about the same money as the converter you could probably get a DVD Recorder that has an RGB output and use that to upconvert the output. As an added bonus you would have an archiving device thrown in for free
    Ah, now that is a very sensible (read: WAF) suggestion, thanks!

It took me a while, but after Argos was selling a HDMI upscaling DVD redorder I could resist no longer... Am happy to report that my RGB switching days are over and that it all works as planned!

Many thanks Keith!